Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Early this week i changed the large diameter hose that goes from the Turbo to oil cooler. after 4 days of driving the car the engine light came on. Now ther is no acceleration as i think the car has gone into "Safe Mode". I have just been to my local dealer and they very kindly ran a diagnostics check. 2 faults came up Lamda sensor and Flow shutter valve that was stuck half open.
As its the weekend and i need the car for monday to travel to work, and no garage can help me today, i would like to know is there anything that i can do to sort this out. Maybe remove clean or anything else that i can try.
Also i have searched the site for flow shutter valve but not sure of its location. I beleive is in the inlet manifold, Any more details, pls help?

The car is a GT 1.9 JTD '55 plate 54K on the clock

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Sodslaw

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
have disconnected the MAF sensor no difference :( must i reset the ECU to see if there is a difference.... if any of you guys think that im wasting my time or that its hopeless... let me know :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
When you fitted the top turbo hose did you clean the inside of the tube it was connecting too (engine end)
Inside this is a silver disc type valve about 50mm dia from memory.
If I were you, detach the top turbo hose from the engine end and give the disc a good clean in situ and make sure it moves freely.
I had to give it a good clean when I replaced my hose, the area was covered in deposits.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
why did u originaly change the hose??

is it the bottom one from turbo to intercooler?

like delta says take tope hose of engine......see if the butterfly valve is stuck......... but i wonder if that reffers to the egr valva as that regulates the flow of exhast gas

would still like to know wot made u replace the bottom hose though.......may all be linked

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bet it was a hole from the nut rubbing on it.
I wonder if now you've replaced the bottom hose the increased pressure has pushed more deposits into the butterfly valve at the end of the top hose and caused it to stick.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I bet it was a hole from the nut rubbing on it.
I wonder if now you've replaced the bottom hose the increased pressure has pushed more deposits into the butterfly valve at the end of the top hose and caused it to stick.
doubt it.........as all that side of the turbo does is compress air

im wondering if the vanes in the turbo are sticking as the vg turbos dont have a wastegate so when the boost builds the vanes dont move causing overboost which shuts power down, probs with pipes to actuator can result in similar

egr probs will have sluggish car that picks up power eventualy and dumps a huge black cloud

Gary

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why did u originaly change the hose??

is it the bottom one from turbo to intercooler?

like delta says take tope hose of engine......see if the butterfly valve is stuck......... but i wonder if that reffers to the egr valva as that regulates the flow of exhast gas

would still like to know wot made u replace the bottom hose though.......may all be linked
i replaced the bottom hose from the turbo to intercooler because there was a split in the pipe. :(

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
will do and let you know how i get on. After i have done this and found for it to be the cause should i reset the ECU, or will the engine warning light go out on its own?
ecu reset does nowt to error codes internet myth ecu is self learning ..just start her asnd drive if it is problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and because of overfueling egr has put loads of deposits in your intake manifold and blocked your swirl valves up thus the code
thanks for the feed back Dave, very much appreciated. If thats the case what can i do try to sort it?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
thanks for the feed back Dave, very much appreciated. If thats the case what can i do try to sort it?
if it is the case ..its manifold off job and maybe new intake worse senario:wow:but you wont know till its off ...take top hose off and have a look inside ..see how much crud is in there take a pic of valve opened

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if it is the case ..its manifold off job and maybe new intake worse senario:wow:but you wont know till its off ...take top hose off and have a look inside ..see how much crud is in there take a pic of valve opened
Bad news for me.... :wow: just taken the top hose off its black and really coked in oil. i guess it should be lovely and clean seeing as though its an inlet manifold:cry::cry::cry::cry:
BTW the 1st valve by the hose in the manifold does moove.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Bad news for me.... :wow: just taken the top hose off its black and really coked in oil. i guess it should be lovely and clean seeing as though its an inlet manifold:cry::cry::cry::cry:
BTW the 1st valve by the hose in the manifold does moove.
so it should mechanically it shuts off air to engine when you turn engine off

take a pic is it well and trully blocked or?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
sounds like this car as done lots of short journeys :-(

by the way are there swirl flaps on a 55 car.......mine is 55 and as not got them, they came on 06 motors that carry the hight road tax level didnt they

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sounds like this car as done lots of short journeys :-(

by the way are there swirl flaps on a 55 car.......mine is 55 and as not got them, they came on 06 motors that carry the hight road tax level didnt they
i use the car mainly to go to work and back 35 miles each way, half of which is motoway :( i bought the car nearly a year ago and ive clocked 20k of the 55k so i think it must of happend when the bottom hose split as i drove it to work and back (70miles) :eek:.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
so it should mechanically it shuts off air to engine when you turn engine off

take a pic is it well and trully blocked or?
yep when i turn the ignition key on it opens and when it turn the key off it closes or the other way round, but anyway it does move. but i have noticed it doesnt do it every time after turning ign on and off several times it will hardly move. if i leave it for 20 sec and try it again it will move fully open and then close. i will up load pics

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
i have takes 3 pics one of the inside of the intake man. and the other 2 are valve opening and closing. i have a video also of what happens when the valve does not properly open or close..... i dont know where to upload it to. the size is 3.7MB and an MP4

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts