Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy,
noticed corrosion under passenger side floorpan...any ideas how much roughly a welder might charge to repair...not long before those mots come round so i like to keep on top before it fails...cheers:)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
How bad is it (i.e. how much of the floorpan is going to need to be cut out and new sections welded in)? Some pictures might help if you can get any.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks pretty small about 6inches:wow:lol:: in circumferance i suppose but hard to tell till i get under properly...cheers tony but im in gatwick but any idea what kind of price this type of job may be...i know it would be tough to call without inspecting...not desperate just yet as mot not for a few months..thanks

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
6 inch diameter is a massive hole :eek: I got advisories on holes that were only a few inches across. I don't know how much it will cost to get welded I'm afraid as I welded mine up myself. At a guess, you probably won't get much change from £100 and it will also probably depend on how much of the interior trim you remove and refit yourself.

Your best bet is to take the car to a few back street garages and get some quotes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No problem there are 2 ways that it could get fixed u could get it cut out completely or have a plate welded over the rust depends if the hole is near sill seat or jacking point but as giallo says u wont get much change from £100 if someone says £200+ walk away

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My advice would be to get the rot cut out completely. If you just weld a plate over the holes (a bodge IMO) then the tin worm will just continue eating the metal away under the plate and will also start attacking the new plate so you will eventually just end up back where you started if you keep the car long enough.

To give you an idea, the holes in the following pics were an MOT advisory when they were about half the size they are in the pics. It's when they got that big that I decided I needed to do something about them before I was handed an MOT failure sheet...

The work I did so repair the holes can be seen in this thread on the Alfa 145 forum (you will need be registered and logged into that forum to see the pics).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for feedback....for that money im sure i can afford to patch the qv up for another year...nice..by the way ive tried to upload pics of my qv to show you guys but it keeps showing my old junior..what do i have to do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.