Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My H6W canbus led bulbs have started to flicker on one side. This only happens when the engine is off. With the engine running they are both nice and bright and clear. Static battery voltage is about 12.6v running is 14 and a bit.

These were from Amazon, and although relatively cheap at about £6 a pair delivered, I'm pondering whether a more expensive pair from say hids direct or similar would be a better bet, or maybe just stick the original halogens back in?

The bulbs have been fine since last year. This is a newly acquired irritation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Not sure if it's the same problem, but I have Led interior bulbs fitted and a couple of weeks ago one started flickering, they too were cheap ones off Ebay.
Anyway I took it out and replaced it with another one and it's fine now, maybe something in the Led circuit is on it's way out and causing the flicker, never really looked into it that much.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Binned mine and went back to normal sidelight bulbs as they started to flicker makiing the bulb warning light activate.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it may be the.fact Led bulbs aren't meant to operate over a voltage range.

With 14+ volts they are fine

I reckon halogens. Or a another set.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
change the bulbs i had this on my 147 and started getting worse and worse over time eventually packing up pretty much altogether, new set of bulbs off ebay ( about £6 for the pair with 8 LEDs on ) and preoblem solved they've been on almost a year now and still going strong

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changed to an old set of LEDs.

Changed then with lights in. The ones that were flickering (which have 9 LEDs) were very hot almost immediately after turning on. The old set with only 5 LEDs didn't get hot at all.

Shall order another set of 5 LED jobs from a reputable source.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed my interior lighting to led and they were on very slight when the car was locked, it is a voltage issue.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I hate 147 sidelights. Apart from needing to be a double jointed gynaecologist, they don't last long. Led ones seem to have a dim glow with ignition off.
I've wanted to stick an oscilloscope across the circuit to see if its voltage spikes or choppy dc that kills them off so fast.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rechecked my battery voltages today as I noticed my voltmeter was showing battery warning. It gets a bit emotional. It was reading 14.0v off, and 17.5v running.

New battery in voltmeter.
11.9 v off, 14.2v running. A wonder it started. It is spending the night hooked up to the battery charger. A CTec will be on my Christmas list.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have just fitted some that are supposed to be canbus friendly, but if they aren't turned on, it says I have a side light failure. No problems after a second or two or switching them on though.

I also have the faint dim once turned off. No flickering though. I just assumed there was some capacitance in them somewhere.

·
Registered
948 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts