Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a worth reading article
Sorry it took so long to get working, But it's worth it.

M

·
0 Posts
Blimey Toad must of took a while to dig that one out I have a copy to and its going back a while. Oh and I love the way they spell ALPHA

MAK

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actaully pinched it from another site

I read CCC when I can find a copy, it's great for your budding racer/mechanic/technical moderator

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey Gringo, nice informative site... just spent several hours reading it...

When you did all those mods, did it make a big different in the power in your engine ?

I just trying to find a way to increase the torque my 1.7 boxer makes..

G

·
0 Posts
The difference it made in power is about 18bhp. The trouble in determining the difference is that the engine was the '95bhp' 30128 series engines, and I never measured the power before. What I can say is that the boxer engines never had as much power as Alfa claimed. The production tolerances, poorly finished castings, a less than claimed compression ratio, all took their toll on the power. If you get 90 bhp from a 95bhp engine you were doing well, so I am basing the power hike I got (to 108bhp) on a middle of the range engine of the same specification. At best, I may have gained 22 or so bhp, and at worst I gained 13bhp. The difference between my car and a standard '95bhp' car leads me to believe I got more than 13bhp though.

I have yet to post the power graph (remember that I got the car rolling road tuned, in Luton, Beds), but when I compared the power graph of my 1.5 against that of a standard 1.7 16v engine, the power was the same up to about 5,800rpm, where the 16v took over and carried on up past 7000, where it puts out over 130bhp. This indicates to me that the mods I did boosted the torque curve of the engine rather than the power, and that the increased power was just as a result of a better torque curve at the top end. I did not increase the revs to get the power. Obviously the torque didn't drop away as fast as a standard engine. This means that my car, although it doesn't have the '105bhp' cams fitted to the Green Cloverleaf, is more powerful, and as a result of the torque, easier to drive.

Now, that was on a 1.5. If you consider that a 1.7 has a better torque curve anyway, then if you get the same boost of the curve that I did, your 3000 rpm performance should be better than most 16v engines.

Food for thought?

Gringo

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Gringo nice to see you made it to this wonderful site

How is you engine running now ? & what power are you getting from it now you've had the engine looked at (& had some plugs changed)

Toad

G

·
0 Posts
I'm still waiting to have the duff ring sorted out, as I am not back in the UK again until the end of the year.

Mind you, you have to drive the car to feel it go. The mapped injection and ignition, the extra 200cc, and the extra 8 valves do make a difference. It really pulls strongly in any gear, and feels terrific. Of course, the torque steer will have to be looked at, but as the car has Koni's, this isn't as bad as it could be.

What I can't help thinking is that if I modify a pair of 16v heads as per my site instructions, plus a few new tricks I have learnt, I could boost the torque curve of my 16v engine...... he he he he....

Gringo

·
Registered
431 Posts
Gringo

Did it cost a lot to get done ? cos i am thinking of selling my car due to the lack of touque it has, makes it a bit dissapointing. and getting a 2.0 TS

I have a 146 1.7 16v and wonder whether it is worth doing anything like you have done.

Also did you do the work on your engine your self or was it done by a garage ?

G

·
0 Posts
Well, the advantage you will have is that you can get a car that already has more torque and capacity than you will get from a boxer if you get the 2.0 ts. As it will have come from the factory like it, you can probably pick up a good example for less than what it would cost you to modify.

The trouble with modifying is that as you open up the engine you see more and more to do, and the cost spirals. Much though I love the boxer, the 2.0 TS makes more sense, and it is still a good engine. Cheaper than a modified car to insure too.

Gringo

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gringo,
I'm getting a 1.7 16v & I'm thinking of putting it into my 145. did you ECU have a fitment for a lamba probe if required (Fecking Kat's)

G

·
0 Posts
The Emerald M3D injection and ignition management box I fitted had an input for a lambda sensor. It also has other little tricks up its sleeve, like
1) automatic idle speed control,
2) automatic idle speed increase if you turn on high consumption electrics like rear window de-mist etc.,
3) gear shift light output,
4) a three step fully programmable rev limiter with progressive cut,
5) tacho output compatable with Alfa tachos
6) choice of closed loop lambda control
7) double independent injector per cylinder control
8) immobiliser compatability with certain types of immobiliser
9) fuel cut off on the over-run (saves fuel at no cost to power)
10) a programmable coolant temperature light to warm at a temperature determined by you

I think it also helps out at lambing time, though I can't find that in the official specifications

Gringo

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tone Pm me with your email address.
I'll send the article on

·
Registered
85 Posts
hi im in the process of putting 40 mm dellortos onto my series 1 1.5 glc, it has a 1.7 front exhaust and a 2 inch custom rear pipe the heads have been machined and polished,
what i need to know is ,are the 40 mm dellortos still to big for this car ,am i wasting my time?
any info appreciated?
thanks
tone

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry Gringo should have remembered your site. I'll get Alfaowner to host the article.

And please let us know how your car runs on the bigger carbs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts