Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, still loving my 146 Ti but not loving the flat spot it has. it seems to be mainly when the engine is not up to temp. Is this something i can fix or is it the sign of more dark and devious goings on under the bonnet. Any help would be appreciated

cheers

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okey Dokey Smaky.
I'll try that and see what happens. When the engine has warmed up and the flat spot disappears it is an absolute joy to drive! Why have I only just got one?
peace

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
When the engine has warmed up and the flat spot disappears it is an absolute joy to drive! Why have I only just got one?
peace
As already stated flat spots are quite normal on a cold engine and nothing to worry about. Anyways, it's always good practice to drive the car gently until it's fully warmed up as that will minimise wear and tear on the engine (colder oil can't lubricate the engine as easily as oil which is fully up to temp) :)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Yep, but just make sure it's reaching temp in about 5 minutes, if not and it's barely geting over the quarter mark on the temp guage whilst in motion then you have a faulty thermostat.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Itdoes reach normal operating temp but it takes slightly longer than 5 minutes. I'll try the new air filter and see how that goes.
can you recomend a particular type or brand?

Once again thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'll try the new air filter and see how that goes.
can you recomend a particular type or brand?
If you want to stay standard then just an Alfa OEM paper one is sufficient. Otherwise a free flow flat panel filter like K&N or BMC works well (I run a K&N one in mine), but with those you need to make sure that you don't over-oil them as any excess oil will deposit itself on the MAF sensor and ruin it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
IIRC you don't get the full advance in the inlet cam until above a certain temp.

It's nothing to worry about, if the flat spot is low down try using less than full throttle below about 2500RPM.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Really u shouldn't be reving a cold engine anyway not good at all......:tut: lol

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a complete novice, why do you oil air filters also what type of oil and how much do I use? cheers

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also, I really cant see how I post on this website? i've got so many questions!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm a complete novice, why do you oil air filters also what type of oil and how much do I use? cheers
Because free flow panel filters are just that (freer flowing) so by design, without any oil they will let more dust particles through. The oil traps and capures those dust particles preventing them from getting into the engine. You must use oil specifically for air filters. K&N for example sell oil specifically for use with their filters...

K&N Air Filter Cleaning & Oiling Accessories

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
ECM checks the ECT, and the TP sensor determines the air/fuel ratio at start up, don't it? Coud be a faulty ECT sensor?:(:
Yes, and it ignores the MAF till the ECT tells the ECM that the engine is over 70'C.

If you still have the flat spot, then try cleaning the throttle body and do an ECU reset.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Really must get up to scratch with this diagnostic stuff, if I'm going to make a few bob, I reckon Smaky, me ole' mate?:D:lol:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
The ranges I've been reading up on state: 1.5 to 1 at -97degF(-36degC) coolant temperature to 14.7 (approx) to1 at 201 degF (94degC) coolant temperature. This stuff is beginning to intrigue me no end.:): Much better than the 'spannering' work in general I used to do.:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts