Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about as far off topic as you can get. . .

Our kitchen has a small flat roof which needs replacing for the third time in 30 years. I'm looking for a longer-lasting alternative to traditional felt-& -pitch. I'm sure somebody around here has experience I can draw on!

As it's only about 3 square metres cost is relatively unimportant - durability is the main criterion. (For various reasons, converting to a pitched roof is not an option.)

·
Administrator
45,155 Posts
I saw, in passing, something about a rubberised (I think) roofing material for exactly this type of thing the other day, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

If I remember, I'll let you know, but might be something you can try to google, see if you come up with anything.

As I remember, the two USPs they were particularly trying to sell were the durability, and something about not having to use heat or flames to apply.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I remember watching one of these American home improvement programs and they did a small flat roof in aluminium (well is was aluminum on the show), it looked a nice finish and of course quite durable.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
TBH I'd go with a decent roll and pour felt.

3 times in 30 years is a joke mate, can only have been cowboys using the cheapest materials.

Rubber (rephanol) is ok but difficult to seal properly against walls etc as it doesn't 'stick' like bitumen does.

I can get you a list of what's best to use if you want, could even work a price so you know what to expect.

I'm a roofer btw :lol:

edit:

Ever thought of changing the flat roof to a pitched roof??

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Ever thought of changing the flat roof to a pitched roof??
:thumbs:

i can take your old roof off build you a nice lean to, g5een can felt, baton and tile it :D

done in a day last a lifetime :thumbs:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Grp is the way to go. There is a new product on the market called curon (also being used for kit car bodywork) that come as a pre preg roll and cures with ultra violet light:cool: No! i don't mean sunbeds, daylight is perfectly adequate :thumbs: Must say that i think the days of three layer felt are gone, i would never use it on any of our construction projects.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I agree with much of what has been said.

Avoid single ply coverings.

Avoid ANYTHING that is a bandage system over your existing roof.

Your options are:

1 BS747 three layer (old tried and trusted system and will give 12 yrs + if laid properly)

2 Modified elastomeric three layer (more modern system will give 18-20 yrs plus and can be warrantied)

3 Liquid Plastics grp reinforced roof but NOT over your old covering

4 Lead (expensive and only good if expertly detailed - theft risk?)

5 Pitched roof conversion (requires planning permission and building regs)

David

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Don't get grp :lol:

Rephanol would be better if you want to get fancy.

Lead will get nicked eventually, especially over 3sqm worth. When lead was sky high I did many a jobs over the N.West replacing it (insurance work), some went missing again within weeks :lol:

A good roll and pour felt with taping over the joints should last over 20 years.

I think me and hughesy constructing a lean to is your best bet ;) :p

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm. . . plenty of advice there. I have to admit I'm leaning towards GRP.

As for changing to a pitched roof - read the original post!;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts