Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car wouldn't start this morning, chugging and struggling on the starter motor. Seems pretty obvious symptoms of a flat battery.

But with each chug, the speedo was moving, registering an extra 20mph or so each time. Is that worrying?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yeah the cold has killed the battery. The 159's went recently and needed replacing, my GT's ran flat whilst I was away for a week in France. A drive up to Yorkshire cured it once I'd jump-started it.

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is a re-charge likely to be a short term solution then?
Any opinions on a replacement battery then?

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm...
Went out an hour later to find the battery charger having switched to conditioning as it was fully charged. Car now works as normal. ICS date had reset, so certainly a flat battery I think.
Would you expect a charger to work so quickly? I was expecting overnight!

Another suggestion of a knackered battery?
Also, when I first started it, it made an evil squealing sound for a couple of seconds. Stopped just as I was about to switch off in a panic. Ice on some sort of moving part? Could that have been making the starting harder, so it wasn't necessarily a fully run down battery?

I guess I need to leave the battery not being charged for a while and see if it loses, to know for sure if it's had it?

·
Registered
38,914 Posts
Our Fiat Bravo didn't want to turn over this morning.
It turned for a bit then stopped, then it fired on the second turn of the key.

It had a new battery 2 weeks ago and has only been left for 2 days.

It was -10 last night though, the oil must have been like treacle.

·
Registered
37,907 Posts
Everything on the Six was squealy this morning. Can't blame it (made me nervous too Bazza, but I have had a cam belt go on me). Batteries on both the Six and Spider have failed to start them in the last year. Just tricke charge and it see how you get on. Most batteries should last 4+ years.

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a sealed battery, right? I've not put the charger on the wrong setting?

R

·
0 Posts
I guess I need to leave the battery not being charged for a while and see if it loses, to know for sure if it's had it?
I wouldn't wait until it won't start again. That almost never happens when it is convenient. Almost any garage (and most places that sell batteries) will be able to properly load test it for you. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
I recently got a new battery. Tried local dealers who wanted £110 ish plus half an hour labour to fit. Took it to local tyre and battery place who did one for £58 fitted, with a 3 year guarantee. Started fine t'other morning after 5 days idle and -10C

The fitting looked quite easy, you need to unclip the air intake pipe, and the bolts holding the strap are down the sides of the battery (I watched them fit mine ;))

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you check the levels before charging it?
Nope, as indicated I think it's a sealed unit. But I'm happy to be proven wrong on that.

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will go down to our local ATS tomorrow, didn't realise they were capable of testing. Thanks Rewe.

N

·
0 Posts
Nope, as indicated I think it's a sealed unit. But I'm happy to be proven wrong on that.
Sealed as in: they stick big heavy duty stickers over the filler caps
saying "sealed" so that we never check them and end up buying more
of them than we need. ;)

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ATS's battery tester (A Bosch thingy) rated my bnattery at 77% (whatever that means), and said it was 'good'.
I'll keep an eye on it though, and perhaps leave it with the battery conditioner on it overnight tonight.

I still have a pet theory that 'something' was iced up and therefore making it harder for the starter motor to turn.

E

·
0 Posts
I'm hoping mine is going to start tonight! It has been sat there all week and it has the original battery, so now nearly seven years old! :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts