Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Flat Battery, Now Alarm wont turn off

Tags
turn
6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  faffer 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

New to the forum, Bought my Son (18) his first car, as they say, if you want to be a proper petrol head you have to own an Alfa...
Anyway its a 2011 1.4 (95) Veloce in cream,weve had it a few month trouble free, and now following 4 days of terrible weather its been parked up, got in it this morning for his commute to work and the battery is dead. Unfortunately i am away working so i dont have all the details to hand, suffice to say, we suspect the battery, I have a booster pack but Wifey dosnt know how to use it, I believe you have to connect the Live to the battery and the neutral to an earth stud NOT THE NEG of the battery, she didnt want to touch it, So we called a Mobile mechanic..

He disgnosed a flat battery and quickly replaced it, however we cant get the alarm siren to turn off, He has removed the cable to the siren to get us away.

I was wondering if any of you guys and Gals out there have any info on if this is common and how to fix it, The Mobile Mech says he will seek some advice from the stealers and try to get some wiring diagrams,

He says there might be a faulty actuator in the alarm thats stuck on ?

OR

Does something need resetting somewhere, He did the radio and windows reset,

Any help much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I doubt OP picks this up but I have the same issue that the alarm won’t stop going off does OP / Anyone know a fix?

Also where is the alarm control unit to try disabling it?
I read the current on the alarm as 12/11v I assume it is therefore not faulty and being given a signal from the control unit? (But far from proficient interpreting my volt meter)

thankyou anyone that has anything to help

#3 ·
After over two years .. !

That's odd though because when our MiTo's battery failed I just put the new one on and it worked straight away .. alarm was fine too.

#4 ·
On my to-do list is battery replacement as it is still on the original, so as not to have any issues I was toying with the notion of keeping the car energised whilst I swapped them out. Now it would seem that as I've probably got to remove the battery tray to replace the hold down strap its getting a bit more involved. What happens during a battery swap, when the new battery is connected ie does the alarm arm/go off?

#5 ·
Didn't on mine .. I just swapped them over ..

#7 ·
I swapped the battery on my MiTo recently and connected some jump leads to the terminals on the car and another (spare) battery whilst removing the old batteryfrom the car. I asked Mrs M, who obliged by keeping the +ve away from the body. That way there was always power to the car, so no reset of anything. There is a slight capacitance effect if you are really quick swapping over.
Hope this helps.

#8 ·
I use a memory saver battery with leads, saves all the faff specially in my GTV as it will lose all the radio presets. I have known for the alarm to sound on battery replacement but a cycling of door opening and alarm setting synchronises it all. Perhaps op's car has become 'confused' over its settings and sounds the alarm just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.