Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to get the car out of the garage today, been away for the last 2 weeks, so not been run, and found the car dead! no lights nothing, suspected flat battery, so went to unlock the boot and can't get in, key won't unlock it either, i didn't think the boot lock needed power? Is this correct? Tried charging the battery via the cigarette lighter socket for about 5 hours to see if enough charge just to get boot open, but that hasn't worked! Any ideas how to get into the boot?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
turn the key hard and it will pop open....normally it activates the solenoid but if you keep turning (keels like it might break) it will pop open :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Or open the bonet and connect another battery or charger.
- to engine
+ to main cabels under ABS fuse, behind expansion tank for cooling water

and then open the boot.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks Niallmoran, that did the trick, didn't want to force the lock before as it did feel very tight, just not use to the feel without power! Battery out now so on charge but being so discharged it's probably a new battery, only a year old too so will see if halfords will exchange it for another hb010 undr warranty (3 years). Cheers again Niall

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
nae bother - i know the panic at thinking the boot won't open when the battery's gone flat!
konw the feeling also only 2 well.

El Bartos is a really good option which I found also when the same thing happenned to me.

The only thing to watch out for is earth the earth. Dont put it across the 2 terminals or you blow the 125A fuse in the boot.

Pomeo

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
turn the key hard and it will pop open....normally it activates the solenoid but if you keep turning (keels like it might break) it will pop open :D
That's not right - Glad it worked though!

If you rotate the key and simultaneously press the boot edge down with your hand it will pop open easily with no threat of breaking key or lock.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
i have a similar question, my battery seems to be draining its self for fun, i want to take it out of the car to charge it but i have the CD changer above it and the metal arms holding it in place how do i get it out? surely i don't have to remove the cd changer?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Many thanks Niallmoran, that did the trick, didn't want to force the lock before as it did feel very tight, just not use to the feel without power! Battery out now so on charge but being so discharged it's probably a new battery, only a year old too so will see if halfords will exchange it for another hb010 undr warranty (3 years). Cheers again Niall
Get Halfords to do a battery test - don't tell them the truth, just say it wouldn't start the other day :rolleyes: (sorry to lie, but only way to get past the 'not covered for that happening' reply)

Then when they say it is a dud, produce the receipt and say 'ooooh I only bought it a year ago'.

It is probably date stamped anyway, so if it is a halfords own brand it will be easy to get an exchange even without a receipt.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Try your local motor factors - I got mine for around £45.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have a similar question, my battery seems to be draining its self for fun, i want to take it out of the car to charge it but i have the CD changer above it and the metal arms holding it in place how do i get it out? surely i don't have to remove the cd changer?
Just undo this metal strap (one M8 bolt) and remove it, remove pole clamps (+ and -). Here goes the hard part - try to lift it for a 1 cm - just to get it from the plastic pen and then drag it out onto spare wheel. :cool:

Before that, get your core card for ICS ind SATNAV. ;)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Undo - before + of course

Avoid Halfords - poor standard of battery, but good warranty & easy to return if knackered by a discharge :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts