Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi parked car up at work this morning to return 8 hours later to find car has no power (had left interior light on) and battery has gone flat,Have tried to start with jumper leads with no luck.

need help a.s.a.p have no idea what to do?

The car is a Alfa gtv 2.0 twin phase one

Thanks Shaun

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Charge battery and try again. Batteries seem to die very quickly these days with hardly any provocation. Be prepared to get a new one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What Skinnyseand said, charge it overnight if you can before trying again, with a good trickle charger. If not it's probably a new battery job.

·
Registered
684 Posts
A high capacity battery booster will get you going if it is the battery gone flat, problem is they are not cheap - unless you have a handy friend.

Removing the battery, humping it home and putting on charge is one option, though obviously a right royal pain (not the easiest battery to get in/ out).

If you try jump starting again, leave the donor car connected and running for a good 15 minutes; that should help put some life in the battery assuming it's still capable of holding a charge.

Good luck!

If all fails and you're stuck, maybe join the AA/RAC leave it a day or two and call them out....

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
A high capacity battery booster will get you going if it is the battery gone flat, problem is they are not cheap - unless you have a handy friend.

Removing the battery, humping it home and putting on charge is one option, though obviously a right royal pain (not the easiest battery to get in/ out).

If you try jump starting again, leave the donor car connected and running for a good 15 minutes; that should help put some life in the battery assuming it's still capable of holding a charge.

Good luck!

If all fails and you're stuck, maybe join the AA/RAC leave it a day or two and call them out....
Aye! Charger up the old battery for 8 hours and then re-fit it and have another go. If after all that charging it's still flat, then it may be FUBAR'd and only a new battery will do.. but it should recover.. batteries almost live to be discharged and re-charged.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi i am having a hell of a time removing the battery from the compartment . it is my dasds car and he lives oveseas and it got a new battery 5 ,months ago but it is dead again the guy at the storage place tried using his booster which did nothing so i thought i would remove the battery but got the back plate off but not the front bottom bolt i got it loose a bit but the battery still did not budge any ideas i am doing this with the bloody roof up in 38 degree weather in a 8 foot metal strage container

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
The battery is a big old barst and needs a fair bit of strength to shift it, as it's tucked away up where you don't have a very good access to it.

It's held on buy just the one bolt and the metal sprung bracket. Remove the bolt and then the bracket should more or less fall off (it's held in at the top by a simple tongue/slot arrangement).

You must undo the bolts on the terminals though. If the terminals are still connected to +/- leads then the battery will be even more difficult to shift (and impossible to remove, obviously). The cables are short and stiff, so tend to keep the battery rigidly in place, even if you remove the bracket.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
And don't forget the breather pipe when putting it back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts