Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mornin all,ive got a 95 155,if i leave it for 2/3 days the battery goes flat,ive put a new battery on,still the same,there is no sign of discharge and the alt is charging well,boot and glovebox lights arnt staying on,any ideas?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Alarm, phone kit, radio... any of these things been added to the car recently?
Other line of questioning would be to ask when did it occur first, and what has changed since...

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
<NERD glasses on> Well I ran a few calculations... and assuming that the battery in the 155 is 45Ah, and it runs flat over 2.5 days (60hrs.), then the source of the drain is taking 0.75Ah. That would equate to 9W's of a power draw... so the boot light is a distinct possibility! (It's 5W though as far as I remember, but the battery may not be fully charged, so anything between 5 and 9W would be about righ!)... <NERD glasses off>

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Well you may be able to narrow it down assuming than all electrical components that may be causing a discharge are fused.

1) remove negative terminal from battery
2) check for discharge with an ammeter
asuming there is a discharge then
3)remove fuses one by one until discharge stops.

Talk about tedious :eek: ;)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers for your answers chaps,it first happened when i went away for 10 days,ive had the car for 2 years now,nothing has been changed and nothing showing on the ammeter so must be a small discharge,oh well back to disconnecting the batt at night.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a duff battery to me, not holding charge for more than a few days...did it go flat after the 10 day lay off?

wrinx

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i sent the last one back as it was still under warranty and got this one,its an ac delco not a cheepie,ill leave this one sitting over the weekend and use my other car and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
What was the current drawn from the battery when you measured it last?
Can you also test it when the car in in the state you normally leave it overnight... Put tape over the bonnet lift button for the alarm, and lock/alarm the car. Measure it at that point and tell us the values.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
acording to my ammeter there is no draw worth mentionning,just enough to keep the radio and clock alive,bonnet light dosnt work and no other lights are staying on,alarm has never worked.
it all started some months ago when i left the car for 10 days,batt was completley flat on my return,kept going flat after that,changed battery under waranty and put another AC DELCO on,still doing it now.
i dont use the car every day

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I wonder if the alternator is having problems recharging the batt.
Try run a test on the voltage when the battery is in the car but without load. Then run the engine on idle, measure. Then increase the rev's to 2500 and turn on the main beams and wipers and rear window heaters, measure the voltages again. Post the three results here.

One side of your rectifier/voltage regulator in the alternator may be bust.

...or... maybe the battery was let run flat, and never got a good recharge (short driving distances) and hence the reoccuring problems.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Easiest way to tell if its the battery is to disconnect it and leave it for a couple of days if it don`t start or struggles then its the battery as there is nothing to draw current from it ;) :D

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update,left the car for a few days with battery off and its fine,when you connect battery up again the n/s/f central locking clicks,before i rip it to bits is it the solenoid going to need replacing or is there some adjustment,doors all lock/unlock fine,ps there is a 90ma draw with everything off and doors locked

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
90mA is spot on. The door clicking is normal as far as I know... but they should all click??? It does this on the central locking on a 146, all doors unlock and appear to re-lock...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh well must be aliens then,mot time soon so anyone want a cheap alfa???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts