Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Something weird is going on with my 156 Selespeed

Usually in the winter months the gear indicator has flashed when the car is cold then stopped flashing when the car warms up. Its not cold at all outside now..

For a few months now (car has only seen light usage) the 3 and the 5 were flashing when i was out driving. Today i was going about 70-80mph on the motorway and the 5 was still flashing until i reached my offramp, when the car suddenly went into neutral.

I coasted up the ramp, came to a stop with engine still running and i pushed the gear changer. I was back in first gear and started driving again, car worked for the next 5 minutes or so until i reached home and turned it off.

I don't really want to head out on a long drive if im going to damage the car or if its going to drop into neutral all the time. I searched the forum and saw somebody mention a gear position sensor, but they did not have the same problem as i did.

Fluids seem fine, 1st gear might also flash, but i havent tested as i never drive the car in 1st gear for more than a few seconds, and the flashing seems to take about 30 seconds between gear changes before starting.

Anybody knows what this might be?

·
Registered
589 Posts
You need to have the car connected to the proper Alfa diagnostic software and see if there are any error codes in the system that may explain the issue.

It is a waste of time doing anything till this is done first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to have the car connected to the proper Alfa diagnostic software and see if there are any error codes in the system that may explain the issue.

It is a waste of time doing anything till this is done first.
I had some problems connecting to my Selespeed unit. Seems like it doesn't like it when latency is high. Here is a screenshot of the fault codes. The gearbox icon did not come on when the car went into neutral so these codes might have been there since the car had a gearbox lamp come on a few years back. I have not been in the Selespeed ECU and deleted codes as far as i can remember.
If a battery swap deletes codes, then yes these are new cause i did that this christmas.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It sounds like an intermittent lack of hydraulic pressure, which in turn would point to the selespeed pump and/or relay. If so, the fault will get worse. Can you run MES while you drive and confirm low hydraulic pressure when the fault appears?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts