Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As has been mentioned in previous threads the 159/Brera/Spiders hazard lights flash when braking hard.
Over the past couple of weeks this has realy started to annoy me when i go out for a blast around the country lanes and the occasional dual carriageway.
Il be doing maybe a steady 60-ish and need to brake hard when reaching a tight corner or island when the car becomes a mobile disco and starts flashing its lights :confused: :rolleyes:
Now i can see the benefits of this when travelling on the motorway although most of us actually have the common sense to brake when the car in front brake lights appear :lol: but the sheer amount of times my car has been doing it lately can only cause confusion to other road users :confused:
No doubt people will say that I'm obviously going too fast but i can assure everyone that the vast majority of times this has happened that i have been doing the speed limit or below (lights only flash at speeds above 40mph) and I'm just driving for fun its an Alfa so I'm not going to be crawling along in my flat cap and smoking my pipe :tut:

But here's the million dollar question can this so called safety feature be disabled i know others have expressed an interest in getting it removed but can/will the dealer do it if so my Spider goes in for its service this week so would love to have it turned off :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have only had my 1750 Ti for a week and as such I thought I was still taking it a bit gentle on the revs and brakes but on the way home on Wednesday evening I thought I would come cross country rather than the longer but faster dual carriageway route and test out the Bi-Xenons - They were fantastic!

Sharp end approaching better loose some pace - What was all that about? I braked firmly but not hard! I did not stab the brake peddle rather I pressed it deliberately and the brakes are good with plenty of feel and excellent retardation but what was going on on the dash board? The next bend was the same and I realised that it was the Hazard Lights flashing manicly?

I asked the dealer about it the next day and he said that it was deliberate and was to do with EU legislation which I find hard to believe and even harder to be convinced that it serves any genuine purpose other than to distract and annoy me.

Does anyone know if and how this could be disabled and or adjusted to a more realistic level of brake force?

·
Registered
570 Posts
What harm does it do? Most cars have something similar particularly high end cars with either the hazards coming on or the brake lights flashing disco style. All its doing is making sure the person behind knows your braking hard. Even Porsches do something similar with the brake lights.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could understand it if i was "breaking hard" but im not??? ive just added it to the list of problems the car has :( im not convinced mine is behaving properly as it didnt flash so easily before i had the battery replaced, a ecu update maybe???

·
Registered
972 Posts
Was this 'feature' not fitted to MY07 159's? I've never noticed my hazards flashing and on occassions I've braked hard enough to trigger the ABS.

U

·
0 Posts
I believe this was a feature added to MY2008 cars onwards.

As well as being wired in to the ABS I suspect there is also an accelerometer somewhere, as the other day I dropped a wheel into a pothole and the hazards gave one flash!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My hazards usually flash if the wheels are starting to loose grip on braking. This happens quite often on rumble bars approaching roundabouts, obviously due to the nature of the rumble bar the wheel is loosing breaking traction. No probs here like, I'd rather the numpty in the Vectra behind me knows whats coming rather than the impact telling him.:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts