Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have quite an annoying problem with the flasher relay, it wont stop clicking in and out as its making contact. The car has been sitting idle for a few months. I fitted a new battery first off, because of a duff cell, but the noise was still there, although did dissapear and return intermittently.

I have also fitted a new origonal part flasher relay, but it still clicks. All the indicators and hazard lights work fine, but the noise is a pain. Oh and the car is a 96 2.0 widebody.

Cheers, Lee

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is it clicking from the indicator stalk? If the stalk is at fault, JB posted a reply about astripping one down or replacement time :( .....and they aint cheap.

wrinx

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure that its the stalk, although I will l post, thanks. Its definately the relay thats making the noise as you can feel the contacts opening and closing.
Sometimes it clicks really fast, and when you use the indicators it slows down, maybe because some power is being taken away from it im wondeing. Although the relay is clicking in and out the indicators dont come on until you move the stalk.

Help its driving me potty, Lee

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar problem on an older car.... I tried to replace an old mechanical (thermal strip) flasher for a modern electronic one. The electronic one would flash every few seconds, even when the indicators weren't on, but the mechanical one worked fine. The problem was the same as described in the messages above - conductive crud on the contacts of the indicator stalk. I cleaned the stalk contacts, and all was fine. However, this was on a thirty year old car, so we aren't exactly comparing like-for-like here!

Rob.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the stalk IS the problem it makes the relay go nuts until you clean it.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, oh well a job for next weekend then. Ive been down to kent this weekend from north essex, and it did stop for most of the way, but its still very iritating as you have to keep looking at the dash just incase you left the indicators on.

Cheers, Lee

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have had my indicator relay pack up recently so they stopped working at all. Swapped it with one from Wrinx's donor (kebab!) car and it is fine :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts