Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used to have classic Mini's and most Mini drivers would acknowledge each other as you drive around with a flash or a wave - all very friendly and all that. Have had my 147 for 10 months or so now and have hardly had any fellow Alfa drivers wave or anything. Maybe I should instigate a wave first but always hope I will be waved at first - what's the deal here?:confused:

·
Registered
154 Posts
In 14 months I've waved at several Alfas but only been waved at once and never got a wave back

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
used to have a proper Mini too ... and yes I remember flashing of the headlights was the order of the day

supposedly there is an 'Alfa Wave' ... but a response can be rare

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
I think a lot of people just buy their Alfas 'cos they "look nice" (I did :lol:), that aren't necessarily aware or maybe even interested that there is a thriving community of Alfa owners just a mouse click away.

I think you're more likely to get a wave back from an owner of an older Alfa, or a Gtv (like I am :)).

·
Registered
458 Posts
Had an MBG Roadster in early 70s & nearly every other owner flashed,waved or both.But as said ,new Alfas are proberly bourght because they are nice cars & better looking than most cars of today.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ive had one wave which was in my old 3.0 gtv, to another gtv, I instigated it though. The guy lives round the corner from me, I had the only gtv in town for a while until he bought his, now there are 3 or 4! Reckon I must have started something :lol: Now I'm the only 147gta in town and would appreciate it staying that way.

As far as general wavig/flashing lights go, I doubt there would be much interest from owners of non-gta 147's and 156's, probably Mito's aswell (unless you are in a Mito yourself).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think a lot of people just buy their Alfas 'cos they "look nice" (I did :lol:), that aren't necessarily aware or maybe even interested that there is a thriving community of Alfa owners just a mouse click away.

I think you're more likely to get a wave back from an owner of an older Alfa, or a Gtv (like I am :)).
Think you might be right there - probably a fair few people around driving newer Alfa's thinking they're just a bit different without any appreciation of the marque and history etc. Think you can really only buy an Alfa with your heart - they're not a car you buy with your head really.

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
Think you might be right there - probably a fair few people around driving newer Alfa's thinking they're just a bit different without any appreciation of the marque and history etc. Think you can really only buy an Alfa with your heart - they're not a car you buy with your head really.
Forgot to say, if you see a silver Phase 1 Gtv on an R plate somewhere in Surrey, then give it a wave and if it's me and you're in an Alfa, then I'll definately wave :)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I've had a few waves back from other Mito drivers, but never from drivers of other Alfas, so I've kinda given up waving :lol:

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
never give up!!!!! ha ha! i think that if we all wave at every alfa on the road, then eventually the penny will drop with all the non enthusiasts, and they'll wave back. ok, we'll feel silly for a while, but our world domination time will come............. :lol:

·
Registered
458 Posts
never give up!!!!! ha ha! i think that if we all wave at every alfa on the road, then eventually the penny will drop with all the non enthusiasts, and they'll wave back. ok, we'll feel silly for a while, but our world domination time will come............. :lol:
An Alfa dominated world,run by Alfa Owners :thumbs:with 916 owners in total power:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I give the alfa wave to most alfas but seldome get a relply :( I have given up waving at modern alfas totaly. I find that a flash then a wave gets a response but that is probably because they think it's someone they know, or am I being to cynical.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so it looks as if most of us would like other Alfa drivers to wave back. I can't imagine anyone being an owner/driver and being a non enthusiast. If we wanted to be sensible we'd drive around in a Kia or something. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Keep waving!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I can't imagine anyone being an owner/driver and being a non enthusiast.
I wouldn't bank on it - many drivers are immune to the Alfa virus. Its just transport to them. If you flash or wave at them they will probably think its road rage!

There's no point in me waving to anyone, they haven't a clue why I am doing it. I do get a few thumbs up though :thumbs:

Lauren

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
I can sympathise and agree with all of the above. I drove behind (stalked):rolleyes: a ?metallic red R reg GTV this morning, took me about 4 miles to get abreast, I hooted by horn and waved...silly grin on my face and off I sped. Half a mile later as I turned off he caught up with me and gave me such a dirty look! :lol:

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
I can sympathise and agree with all of the above. I drove behind (stalked):rolleyes: a ?metallic red R reg GTV this morning, took me about 4 miles to get abreast, I hooted by horn and waved...silly grin on my face and off I sped. Half a mile later as I turned off he caught up with me and gave me such a dirty look! :lol:
It feels more disappointing when it's a spider or a Gtv owner that doesn't wave back - you'd like to think that they'd realise how rare their cars are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
:p i own a 2001 156 2.0ltr ts veloce and i flash, wave and hoot at every alfa i see in kent, i get a mixed response rangeing from happy return waves to wierd looks. I even had a little old lady in a mito give me the finger and tell me to 'f' off ! i've never laughed so loud. And i gotta say that i'll never stop waving cos it makes me smile, {especially when little old ladies flip me the bird.} lol. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts