Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a flapping/ rattling noise from the passenger footwell area in relation to the car moving.
Can only really hear it when driving below 40mph and its much louder with the passenger window down. Sound like something hanging loose near the wheel but iv looked everywhere and havnt a clue what it is! :(

Can anyone help me?

Its an Alfa GT 1.9JTD by the way

Dan

·
Registered
313 Posts
im having a similar problem heres the exert from the ausalfa forum.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:38 pm Post subject: Vibrating noise Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Hi guys just wondering if anyone could help me out on this one. I had my 147ts jacked up during the weekend to paint my calipers, for 3hrs the front was up and vise versa.

Driving it the next day i noticed that there was a vibrating or flapping sound coming from the bottom of the front of the car, possibly the passenger side. it would not make this noise on acceleration or braking just on when coasting. Ive also recently had the centre muffler removed and replaced with a straight stainless steel pipe (done about two weels ago).

I had a look underneath and noticed that the plastic undertray was hanging a bit lower than previously, could this be the cause of the noise or is it more serious.

Thanks for the help.

AGM155
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like the undertray might be the culprit - can you check if it will move around easily.

How much did the exhaust work cost if you don't mind me asking. I think I'll do something like that myself soon

marxalfa
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
thats what im hoping, yea it does move pretty easily and i saw a tuft of grass stuck to the back of it this morning so yea.

the exhaust cost me $100 and took about 30mins to fit, would have been $70 for mild steel. its a very subtle increase in note and a little deeper aswell, and probably a tiny power increase but im guessing with a decent italian backbox and novitec air filter kit it would sound and go significantly better. you could always take another small resonator, located just before the backbox off, if you really wanted to.

Xargon22
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
that's what I did with the GTV, removed 1 (out of 4) silencers with a 2 foot length of stainless steel. 15 mins fitted and a comparible price in cash.

Deeper note and haven't noticed much on performance.

adrenaline
marx, does it sound better? i want to get mine done..

marxalfa
yea it does, its a nice subtle sound and worth the chump change.

sorry guys but back to the vibrating noise lol. i dont understand why it only makes it when coasting. its a constant rythmic battering which progressively gets slower when rolling to a stop. are there any fans which i should be checking, or possibly the crankshaft or something rubbing against the undertray, i will give it a thorough check this afternoon and if my efforts fail max will be stuck with sleuthing it out...

shiny_car
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote
check that none of the cables are loose behind the (front) wheels. like ABS sensor, brake-pad-depth indicator, etc. they may have become detached during your work. also the splash guards.

tremolo
Would you describe it as a clicking noise? Does it happen at low speed and/or when steering lock is wound on?

If so, it could be a failed CV joint. CVs can make a bit of a racket when coasting.

marxalfa
like a tapping noise doesnt really sound metallic, in some instances around a flowing left bend it would be quiet but on a right turn it would make the noise (not neccesarily full lock). if i could explain the noise it sounds like a hard piece of plastic is flapping against a fan and as the car slows the flapping slows but only when coasting or rolling not on acceleration or braking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

tremolo
Could well be a CV mate, get a mechanic under it to have a look.

marxalfa
how much would that set me back is it alright to drive a little bit for now or will that do damage to other parts??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

tremolo
If you source it yourself (locally) around $250 + shipping + fitting. Try Turin Imports. It doesn't need to be changed immediately, but sooner rather than later is always best.

I could be way off the mark if I'm misunderstanding you but if it's the kind of noise I have in my head I'd check it out.

marxalfa
its sounds like a small muffled jackhammer in the distance lol, but not so mechanical sounding if that makes sense??

tremolo
Hard to say without hearing it

Here is some more CV info
Constant Velocity Joints, Part 2: Service & Repair

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi DanDan

I recently had problem like this, it may not be the same, but if it helps ....

I had a knocking clanging noise from the passenger foot well. it turned out to be the balljoint in the upper control arm. The noise started as the occasional noise and then became more frequesnt as it was wearing more. This is expensive to fix, so lift the wheel off the ground and feel if there is any play.

A similar but softer noise came from the brake hose leading to the front caliper that jumped out of the supporting bracket. This was easy and cheap to fix with a spring clip.

Good luck
Pyrean

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your help :) well its still under warranty so they would fix it im sure? Just thought id have a go myself before i have to make an 80 mile round trip to get it fixed :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts