Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not very often I experience a success while working in my GTV but today I did.
My original Clarion Stereo has got the dreaded LCD bleed.

20210217_211732.jpg

I acquired an old black broken Clarion Stereo for £10.Crucially it had a good LCD screen.... and I was hoping I'd be able to swap it with my bled one.

Well today I attempted it and lo and behold it worked a treat.

Here's the LCD panel connected to my Stereo....

20210217_213106.jpg

And here attached to my stereo's front panel...

20210217_211753.jpg

And finally my now fully working original stereo....

20210225_131102.jpg

I'm well chuffed!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
860 Posts
Bloody well done that man.
Did your radio work but just the screen wasn’t working? I have an interesting issue where I turn on the radio, aerial goes up and... that’s it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bloody well done that man.
Did your radio work but just the screen wasn’t working? I have an interesting issue where I turn on the radio, aerial goes up and... that’s it.
Yes Sam.... everything worked fine.... radio, CD Changer and even the aerial. I just couldn't see what was happening!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes Sam.... everything worked fine.... radio, CD Changer and even the aerial. I just couldn't see what was happening!

Ah, that’s a result! I know it’s not the last word in high fidelity but originality is so good! I think mine might be fubar sadly.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What model Clarion Radio was the doner?
I wasn’t sure ANY screen apart from the one of this model was interchangeable.
Well done that man!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What model Clarion Radio was the doner?
I wasn’t sure ANY screen apart from the one of this model was interchangeable.
Well done that man!
Hi Corky.....

Not sure of the model name as I haven't got the body anymore but it looks exactly like the silver Clarion Stereo in my GTV just it's black in colour....
Here it is....
20210225_175625.jpg

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ah, that’s a result! I know it’s not the last word in high fidelity but originality is so good! I think mine might be fubar sadly.
Personally at first I thought that the sound output is complete garbage from those. But actually after swapping it to a good modern unit my opinion changed some.

I can see now that even I can crank up the bass substantially more that's not necessarily a good thing in GTV. Door cards as well as the rear shelf and battery holder are notorious for rattling and acoustics are just not that great. With OEM unit's specific EQ preset (if I recall correctly it was JAZZ or ROCK. Well definitely one of those with V shaped freq response curves) it was close to as good as it gets before you need to start worrying about rattle and sound isolation. Main drawback is lack of AUX/BT/USB.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ah, yes. The black and silver ones are interchangeable, they are exactly the same apart from the shell. To pick up a clear LCD black shell screen for £10 is a bargain. I thought you had taken the screen from another random Clarion unit and soldered it in. Either way, a result for your silver unit 👍

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
As daft as it sounds have you replaced the 10a fuse? The only other thing I can think of with no power is the ribbon that connects the facia. You have to go carefully to remove and make sure it’s seated correctly. Very fiddly job

·
Registered
860 Posts
As daft as it sounds have you replaced the 10a fuse? The only other thing I can think of with no power is the ribbon that connects the facia. You have to go carefully to remove and make sure it’s seated correctly. Very fiddly job
Hello mate, when it comes to me and electrics... nothing is too daft to suggest. Gonna take a look, OP sorry to derail thread there. As you were gents and gentesses!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts