Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why me?

Healdight bulb went the other day (Philips xtreme) so ordered some Osram Nighbreakers as I hadn't been that impressed with the Philips. At the same time I ordered some white LED sidelights as the previous LEDs were a little too blue and frankly looked nasty.

All changed, till the final LED sidelight, somehow, God knows how, the LED wasn't sitting in the holder correctly and popped out when trying to insert it, despite best efforts it was only going to end badly, sure enough the LED is now inside the headlight....FFS!!

Look out for my next thread, it'll be a 'how to' for removing a GT (non-xenon) headlight.

I need a hug <sniff>

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, is this possible, the LED has fallen into the front of the headlight, dropped down the gap between the reflector and the glass and is now just visible through the gap lying under the reflector.

Can one slide a straw (or similar) from the back of the headlight under the reflector, didn't appear to be any way of doing this, mind you I was quite frustrated and didn't investigate too much.

If it is possible to feed something under the reflector from the back, I might try with a straw (or bit of hose) wrapped in sellotape - sticky side out.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm looking fwd to the "How to remove blu tac and bulb from inside head light" thread. Sorry sarcasm is lowest .....
Is there any metal on the bulb connector that a magnet will pick up?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly the sidelight bulb isn't magnetic, I tried with a magntc nicked from the missus' notice board in the kitchen - heh!

In the scheme of things it isn't the end of the world, just bl00dy annoying. I've done far worse in my time, maybe I should start another thread... 'what's the biggest car related balls-up you've ever made?'

I remember years ago, back in the early 90s chaging the water pump on my Rover 825, 24v V6. I was as pleased as punch. Didn't have any anti-freeze to hand so just filled it with plain water to check for leaks and to make sure it started OK..... it was perfect. It was the middle of summer and anti-freeze was on my 'to do' list.

Took about a month for the water to eat through enough of the head to blow the head gasket, got scrap value for it.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i'm thinking dont use bluetack as it will drop in to the lamp holder, how about aforementioned straw/chopstick and double-sided sellotape?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's no way I'll get at the bulb though the hole it's supposed to sit in, the bulb fell out the front of that hole into the reflector and down through the gap at the bottom front edge of the reflector, it's now barely visible.

If there's space at the back to feed something under the reflector I'll have a poke with something ( telephone cable probably) wrapped in some double-sided carpet tape I've got lying around. If all else fails I'll pick a nice sunny day next week (finishing my week of nights on Monday morning), drop the bumper and remove the headlight.... how hard can it be? ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi pubsinger did the same thing trying to fit side light bulb if fell down just where you said, also had a Gel pack in there another story, could see the pack but not bulb, like you was ****ed ,went bought another bulb fitted it .Then looking for something to get Gel Pack out spied the barns foot pump with end attatched shoved it in back headlight swished it round and lo and behold Gel pack and bulb appeared in bottom of headlight give it a go .

G

·
0 Posts
Was going to suggest a high pressure air gun to get it in a better position then a JML (pound shop) flexible grabber... It is a spirally wound three pronged length of wire about three foot long(for want of a better description). You simply push the top plunger and the three prongs open up and then release the plunger and the prongs will grab the bulb.... Then pull it out of the hole...
Cheap enough to buy and very useful for future mechanical nook and cranny work:thumbs:

Look on the bright side, consider removing the headlights, strip them down and give them the black 156 GTA treatment if all else fails:D

L

·
0 Posts
if it were my car I'd drop the bumper at the side the buld is in the head light, remove the head light, remove to cap & shake it up-side down til it fell out.

often times what seems the longest solution to a problem is the best :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Was going to suggest a high pressure air gun to get it in a better position then a JML (pound shop) flexible grabber... It is a spirally wound three pronged length of wire about three foot long(for want of a better description). You simply push the top plunger and the three prongs open up and then release the plunger and the prongs will grab the bulb.... Then pull it out of the hole...
Cheap enough to buy and very useful for future mechanical nook and cranny work

Look on the bright side, consider removing the headlights, strip them down and give them the black 156 GTA treatment if all else fails

Grahemeo did you do your headlights then like 156 GTA if so have u got any picks?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I did the same with a standard bulb. I managed to get it out by parking upslope on my drive, so bulb fell to the back of headlight unit, then got small screwdriver in from bottom of unit to pull it backwards out of headlight unit.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Success! Got it out with a short length of telephone cable wrapped in double-sided, happy chap, that was until I decided to clear one of the blocked windscreen washers, popped the bonnet liner out of the way and removed the problem washer, cleaned it all out reassembled and....nothing, from either washer. Eh?

Got out of the car to find a puddle of washer fluid on the floor. WTF? Would you believe the nipple on the washer pump has broken off inside the tube. FFS! These are are to be had quite cheaply on eBay, just bought one for £7.00UKP delivered. So, no washers for a day or two. I was surprised to find I don't have heated washer jets despite having the winter pack (heated seats and headlight washers), as mentioned in other threads the wiring is there for heated jets, maybe I'll buy a pair one day.

Now for my next major crisis, noticed there was a bit of a sooty build-up on the vents at the back of the top engine cover. Aha, see a bit of a leak at the EGR valve....why would that be? Have now found that 2 of the 4 bolts that hold the EGR were loose and won't tighten. Jesus Wept!

Couldn't face any more today so went to the pub for a drink and a think, will whip it all off tomorrow and look at my options. Maybe I can drill the holes out in the EGR, drill and tap the manifold and fit slightly larger bolts. Starting to think it's time to give up being and amateur mechanic.

All the best

Pub

1 - 15 of 15 Posts