Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They started to get sticky after the hot summer, one was much worse, the rubber was like chewing gum, you could literally get a bit and chew it up :lol:
So I started to find a decent solution. Didn't want a cheap and ugly plastic knob!
After a lot of searching on ebay, I found these:
2 pcs Guitar Dome Knob For 1/4" Split Shaft 18mm x 18mm Satin Chrome New | eBay
18mm heigh/width is the same as those in the ics. Not chromed, not matte...satin! Exactly as the ICS paint!
For a price of two coffees, it could be ok, or not, but not a big loss :). I ordered them!
Waited a month... received them at last! at first look they looked very good, nice finish detail, and the most important..they were not painted! The satin chrome finish is actually the metal itself!

After a lot of tries, I couldn't make them to fit the ics nicely. So I went to plan B. Empty the new knobs and make the original ICS knobs to fit inside!

Removing the rubber was very easy. The plastic inside the new knobs wasn't, I ended heating them on the kitchen gas stove, light flame for 10 seconds, until the inner plastic softened.
As it wasn't painted, they remained intact. I ended with this (Emptied knob not seen):

Now I had to grind slightly the peeled ICS knobs, it should go all inside except 1mm, that has to be cutted away.

Also you have to cut about 2-3mm of the inner plastic that actually holds in the knob shaft, and drill the end of the plastic hole where the shaft goes in, as it has a stop in the end, or it will be slighly out:

Don't worry, you can always put a bit of something if later you find that it goes too deep in the ICS.

After drilling the stops, and some slight cuttings here and there, final look:

Not bad for 2.65 euro :)

Cheers, long life 166'ers!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great job! Now ones for the wooden fascia. Tho actually my 16-year-old knobs are just fine (touch wood!).

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You should market them!!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have black knobs too, but I liked more the silver ones, the black ones where shiny and looked like plastic.
And the black paint got scratched by just looking at them.
And, of course, I didn't want them to have the small tightening holes.
Just my personal and complicated likes :lol:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Absolutely hysterical! I've literally sat for weeks thinking and planning the exact same thing only pondering about which type of guitar knob to use and here is the how-to!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all, I have to thanks DavidAlfa166 for this thread, he gave me a solution for my old rubber knob. Today I attempted to do this small mod in my car and I have found an easiest way, it is just a matter of 5 minutes, so I decided to share it here:

I bought a pair of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182881574870

I heated up the whole thing using a heatgun until the plastic started to melt

With a screw driver you can very easily pull it off and the metal piece will remain fully hollow. Then you insert the original plastic piece of your Alfa, which is just a tiny bit bigger so it will not go all the way in

Unless you heat it up a little bit with the heatgun and push it in with a c clamp, vice bench or anything similar

As you can see, there is a bit of plastic sticking out. You can either leave it or sand it down. I decided to leave it since you don't see it once installed and acts as a spacer

And that is all!

My idea was to paint it with Plasti Dip to get the rubber touch, but I'm quite happy with how it is. So no grinding, drilling, cutting or sanding required, just take one plastic out and put the Alfa one in. On top of that, these knobs don't have the side screw!

I hope it helps :rotate:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@NitroNitrous Nice to see someone tried this, they look way better than the ugly rubber.
Yours are the same, in fact I bought these too when I did the ebay order of different knobs. But the paint scratches extremely easy on these!
The silver ones aren't painted, it looks like they've been sand blasted or something like that, so there's no paint to scratch :).
There's absolutely no damage to them since I made this :rotate:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts