Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL;DR: Clean out the elongated adjustment bolt holes.

I searched but didn't see any mention about this fix for an inability to align rear wheels.
I swapped out upper, lower wishbones, tie rods and drop links myself the other week.
Time for alignment, decided on getting a computerized 4wheel alignment done.
Mechanic says he can't get the rear alignment in and reckons I need to change the transverse rods.
Had a look myself and looks perfectly straight. No worn bushes either. Oh well. I wasn't happy with ordering spares until I had another look.
Turns out my crossrail is broken where the rear cam washer butts against due dirt ingress over the years.
Lucky for me it is only the part which provides a toe out and what I want is 1.5mm or 0°14' toe in each side.
The elongated hole that allows for the bolt to move was so full of hard crud no wonder he couldn't get it budged.
I chiseled it all out and now it adjusts silky smooth. Got it aligned again for free and now i'm super happy. I'll include photos below.
So just give the adjustment bolt holes a good clean out and it should be fine so long as nothing else is bent or worn.
Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Y'know, I have one of these in my garage to replace my steel one on the 147, I was actually thinking to myself I wonder if they have any inherent issues. :)
Cheers for that. As you say, it's a bit odd.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Y'know, I have one of these in my garage to replace my steel one on the 147, I was actually thinking to myself I wonder if they have any inherent issues. :)
Cheers for that. As you say, it's a bit odd.
I was wanting to do the same on my 147 when I had it but never tried in the end. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Those washers are not OE so someone has had them off or replaced at some point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts