Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many GT and 147 owner complain of a squeak/cracking noise that seems to come from the A pillar area on the off (drivers side) of the car. In some cases the issue gets worse when the heater is on the windscreen or in cold weather.

I have resolved this issue as follows:

1. Carefully remove the air vent that runs the whole length of the dash (put your fingers in the vent and gently pull it out)

2. Unscrew the (allen head) bolts carefully ensuring they don't fall in to the vent system. You will see the bolt has a rubber and metal washer.

3. Remove the rubber washer and replace this with another metal washer of the same size as the existing metal washer. Replace and tighten the bolt with the two metal washes.

4. Replace vent and enjoy a crack/squeak free ride.

My '04 plate GT is excellent. I got rid of the rear hatch noise easily after an infuriating month of trial and error.

Only issue I had was recent EGR issue (no smoke but nearly killed me on a roundabout no power for 10secs). EGR valve, cam belt + waterpump were changed yestersday at Mangos - drives like new.

Great car with "drop your draws" looks.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
good advise :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dash creak came from the dash rubbing against the windshield. Had to replace the windshield to get it fixed permanently. You should be able to stick a credit card all along between the dash and the windshield according to Alfas repair manual.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you solve the rear hatch creaking? Was it the rubber stoppers or the hinge itself?
I was like everyone else - was it the trim near the high level brake light, was the rear seats, was it the rubber trim. Having ruled these out and silicon lubed the rubber seals I was at my wits end.

My hatch issue was caused by the rear parcel shelf. If you raise the tailgate you will see two rubber "stops" at either side of the plastic trim (on which the shelf sits when its closed). The issue is that these rubber stops only protect from vertical and not lateral movements of the shelf (if you look on a 147 these are actually "L" shaped).

I got some 147 stops and glued them in place. I am sure if you position some rubber or some draught insulation on the side wall above the existing rubber stops this should help.

I think GT hatch issues are unique to each car but try my advice and let me know! :thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts