Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So fellas, been having a streak of alfa issues, or streak of bad luck if you are a fan. I certainly am a fan...but only up to '98. Post 155 cometh disaster...I know some Yugos that are more reliable than the post 1998 alfas. Enough ranting for now though, I will continue at the end of my post.

This is what I’ve done since August ‘11 when I went ahead and decided to make the biggest mistake of my life...sorry ranting again.

- Changed cam-belt & water-pump
- did 60k service
- new VGT solenoid
- new Clutch and flywheel :cry:
- replaced Alternator pulley
- New Battery
- New wiperblades (front and back)
- 4 new tyres
- Replaced front upper wishbones – But now (5 weeks later) I hear knocking from the front left and squeaking….again!
- Gearbox oil – Replaced twice, the second time was replaced with super-thin oil so that the synchromesh does not get sticky when the gearbox is cold.
- Sorted Airbag light
- Waxoyled oil cooler pipes

To do:
- New radiator
- Rear bushes
- 4 wheel geometry
- 72k Service coming up in a month or two
- Front disks & pads
- Auxiliary belt and pulleys

This morning, Started the engine, turned on the Climate Control and the A/C button light wouldn’t come on. I would press it, and it would flash and then go off. Even though it was set to Auto. Is this normal you guys? I had to leave the car at work and get a hire car because I am working over the weekend away from the office...but I'm worried

This car, by miles....I mean MILES...like thousand miles, is the most problematic car I have ever had. It just makes me wanna trade it for a fiesta :vomit:.
I would love to have my old 155 back. I feel such a t**t for selling it. Most reliable car ever, I never had to do anything to it except......love it:(

Why ALFA, WHY did you go and make such a pice of c**p :cry: ....it doesn't even have a freakin' cup holder

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. This is useful to know....slightly less upset now ;)

any ideas why the front suspension would start knocking and squeak nearly five weeks after I replaced the upper wishbones?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Were the wishbones from ebay?

It's my understanding the ebay ones are useless....

If not I would check the other suspension parts (Drop links, arb, ect) as your wishbones may have masked their noise before, failing that did you lube the bushes before re-assembly?

May help

·
Registered
149 Posts
So fellas, been having a streak of alfa issues, or streak of bad luck if you are a fan. I certainly am a fan...but only up to '98. Post 155 cometh disaster...I know some Yugos that are more reliable than the post 1998 alfas. Enough ranting for now though, I will continue at the end of my post.

This is what I’ve done since August ‘11 when I went ahead and decided to make the biggest mistake of my life...sorry ranting again.

- Changed cam-belt & water-pump
- did 60k service
- new VGT solenoid
- new Clutch and flywheel :cry:
- replaced Alternator pulley
- New Battery
- New wiperblades (front and back)
- 4 new tyres
- Replaced front upper wishbones – But now (5 weeks later) I hear knocking from the front left and squeaking….again!
- Gearbox oil – Replaced twice, the second time was replaced with super-thin oil so that the synchromesh does not get sticky when the gearbox is cold.
- Sorted Airbag light
- Waxoyled oil cooler pipes

To do:
- New radiator
- Rear bushes
- 4 wheel geometry
- 72k Service coming up in a month or two
- Front disks & pads
- Auxiliary belt and pulleys

This morning, Started the engine, turned on the Climate Control and the A/C button light wouldn’t come on. I would press it, and it would flash and then go off. Even though it was set to Auto. Is this normal you guys? I had to leave the car at work and get a hire car because I am working over the weekend away from the office...but I'm worried

This car, by miles....I mean MILES...like thousand miles, is the most problematic car I have ever had. It just makes me wanna trade it for a fiesta :vomit:.
I would love to have my old 155 back. I feel such a t**t for selling it. Most reliable car ever, I never had to do anything to it except......love it:(

Why ALFA, WHY did you go and make such a pice of c**p :cry: ....it doesn't even have a freakin' cup holder
you'll need this excellent diy site to do the radiator and brakes : https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156repairguide/:)
at below -3 g thae AC dosent cool , but dry air is still aviable to demist your window
Never stop loving italian cars!!! :thumbs:Never choose the dark side!!!!:rant:
William Lütken

M

·
0 Posts
Mine is squeaking a bit but I'll put that down to it being -5 outside and the rubber bushes have gone hard in the cold

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were the wishbones from ebay?

It's my understanding the ebay ones are useless....

If not I would check the other suspension parts (Drop links, arb, ect) as your wishbones may have masked their noise before, failing that did you lube the bushes before re-assembly?

May help
Wishbones are genuine Alfa. I only applied a small amount of Cera-Tec to the long bolt.

Maybe it's like mor1mat says, squeeking is because of cold.

Can't explain the knocking though.

wlu...the dark side looks a lot cheaper from where I'm standing :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bypass the ARB (anti roll bar) by removing the link connection to it ,take it for a drive if the sound disappears its the ARB connection link or the ARB bushes.
In the cold everything starts squeking !!!! it's - 15 here now in Denmark
look at guide here : https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156repairguide/ choose upper and then lower wishbone.
Do'nt hope your car sounds like this : Sonore - YouTube
Remember why you bought italian :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhjXraknQbo&feature=relmfu
and : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmC7kVyqXI&feature=BFa&list=PL2AC666DF8F9194AD&lf=results_video
Mine has done 175.000 km and of course you have to change the cambelt all the tensioners,the balance toothed belt and the tensioners and the aux belt and the tensioners and the tyres the wipers the only extra I have done is the front cat integrated in the exhaust = 2100 euro = 250 £ + a lot for someone to do it!!!!!
The radiator after 8 years.
So cheer up mate you can do it!
Do'nt listen to Darth Wader, your soul will darken, your heart will turn cold and eventually driving a car will give you no pleasure at all.
William lütken

·
Registered
562 Posts
William your job on making tutorials for Alfa is phenomenal, great advices, great step by step procedures, already bookmarked ;)

Only problem with squeaking Alfas, is to find where that squeak comes from, because there are a lot of bushes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
William your job on making tutorials for Alfa is phenomenal, great advices, great step by step procedures, already bookmarked ;)

Only problem with squeaking Alfas, is to find where that squeak comes from, because there are a lot of bushes.
Agreed

wlu. These tutorials must have taken you double the time to take all these photos. I will use your tutorial for the radiator this coming summer. Still don't understand how a so called alluminium radiator cumbles to bits...like a hob nob.

On my better half's '03 corolla, if you were to remove the rad and chuck it at a wall, you could pretty much pick it up, put it back in and drive away. Oh, btw no squeeks, no leaks, no knocking noises, no oil leaks, the paintwork is still on the car....no issues....nearly 120k miles. My 156 is just over 70k!!!! go figure....is my car made in Taiwan or China?:tut:

I'm so discouraged. After owning alfas for over 15 years(one lancia and one uno in between) the 156 is just makes me so sad :(

I'm going to book her for a 4 wheel geometry at AHM (who will take it to Merityre) and an overal lookover and see what else I have to bleed money on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts