Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been looking at this guide on Alfa Workshop's website on fitting the variator repair kit for twin spark engines.

It looks as though you could do this without removing the inlet cam from the engine - saving the hassle of removing the variator from the cam (and the cam from the head).

So - has anyone tried doing this?

Also - do these repair kits work OK? Or is it always better to replace the whole variator?

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Not possible without removing it from the camshaft. It is possible to remove the variatior in situ, I’ve seen it done, the camshaft in one case was held using a pry bar at the other end effectively jamming it in place, the other method used a camshaft locking tool with longer bolts. When I did one on my daughter’s 147 I did it after removing the camshaft from the engine, which isn’t difficult, and held it in a vice using jaw protectors. It was tight!
As far as using the repair kit is concerned is it worth the hassle if it doesn’t work? You’d have to take all the belts etc. off again. I took the old variatior apart to see what had happened internally and the washers (plastic and a metal one) were worn, I would say it came apart a sight more easily than putting it back together!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, last time I replaced a variator (on a 145) I replaced the whole thing - removing the inlet cam and gripping it in a vice, as you say.

I'm only thinking about the repair kit as I happen to have one already - and I can't help thinking that with the cambelt off, removing the retaining circlip would allow the body of the variator to slide off its shaft, which would remain attached to the camshaft...

I'm also slightly kicking myself that I didn't do this when I first got the car and changed the cambelt earlier this year...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I've done the cam belts etc. on my GTV many times, on the 147 and on friends' cars too. It does seem a waste not to use a £20 kit, but I'd not chance it considering the work involved. If you did do the variatior complete all you'd really need to change again would be the belts.

Whoa! I've looked at the prices, over £200 getting on for £300. My spare which I bought a while ago and those I did previously were just over £100.

In that case try the kit, but I'd still remove it from the shaft as it was tricky to re-assemble and you don't want to be dropping parts where they ought not to go.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa indeed - so they've doubled in price in the last couple of years...???

(I've just checked Shop4Parts and Alfa Workshop and got the same prices as you.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts