Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
There is a fuse box in the boot under the carpet trim behind the left rear wheel. I use that with with a "fuse with current tap" when installing a tow bar earlier this year. It has a few empty slots.
Really? Huh, didn’t see one, I’ll look again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's sort of hidden. If you remove the plastic trim that sits around the trunk catch you can peel back the carpet on the side.

·
Registered
607 Posts
It's sort of hidden. If you remove the plastic trim that sits around the trunk catch you can peel back the carpet on the side.
Nope, I don't have it. According to the book, that fuse box handles sunroof. bose amp, power seats and heated seats - I have none of these fitting so I don't have the fusebox ;)

Never mind, I ran a lead up the right side sill and uses a fuse piggy back into one of the rear window motor fuses. Thats a plenty strong enough power supply.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ahh OK, I thought cars chared all wires no matter the accessories nowadays but your solution sounds good!

I used my MA170 TCT as a mover van just a few weeks ago

·
Registered
607 Posts
Ahh OK, I thought cars chared all wires no matter the accessories nowadays but your solution sounds good!

I used my MA170 TCT as a mover van just a few weeks ago
Looks nice and cold and wet there. We’d love that weather down here - 42 degrees tomorrow and windy, going to be another scary fire day :(

·
Registered
607 Posts
Relay in this afternoon, will tap into taillight feeds in the loom on the floor.

Neat little space here when the trim fits back in, foam surround snugly secures it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Right... So that's a fail for the Umbra Rimorchi tow bar!! Welded by a drunk I think... Not even remotely amused considered the hassle involved in getting it shipped to Australia from the bloody UK! Grrr. Now to see how useful JustTow are with warranties.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ouch that looks no good . I bought mine from Polish based Steinhof. Easy to fit, but two brackets was missing and needed to be sent separately to me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Ouch that looks no good . I bought mine from Polish based Steinhof. Easy to fit, but two brackets was missing and needed to be sent separately to me.
Cheers. Look to be the same design as the Brink one. Where did you purchase yours from?

The way they put them together looks much better and stronger. And allows for variation to be adjusted - the UR one doesn’t and it’s not welded spot on it’s all over.

The scary thing about mine is I bet any towbar fitter would have just hit the bolts with the rattle gun and let the car frame bend to fit the bar...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought it from a local Swedish dealer, but they can be found on ebay as well I think.

The mounting instruction called for pretty large holes in the frame rails, 18 mm if I remember correctly, to allow for some adjustment. But that does not help if the plate that bolts to the end of the frame is not welded on straight, as shown in your picture.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I bought it from a local Swedish dealer, but they can be found on ebay as well I think.

The mounting instruction called for pretty large holes in the frame rails, 18 mm if I remember correctly, to allow for some adjustment. But that does not help if the plate that bolts to the end of the frame is not welded on straight, as shown in your picture.
Cheers. Yes, I found one on eBay Germany - have asked for the shipping size and weight as I'll be using a freight forwarder. The Auto Hak branded one looks to be the same design as well.

Im paying a lot more attention to the way they're designed now!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know the struggle with shipment. I have a 30-year old Volvo at our vacation home in Thailand. And my wife is not to happy about me bringing some obscure spare part in the luggage whenever we go

·
Registered
607 Posts
Major hassle, eventually got my refund from that dodgy towbar shop in the UK. Lost the 120euros I spent on a freight forwarder though, so that sucked. So - dont buy the Italian made Umbra Rimorchi tow bar, its a bit crap...

Bought an AutoHak from a seller in Germany and another freight forwarding. Turned up fine and quality a million times better. Got it fitted today, went on perfectly. Wiring to be hooked up another day, but the relay box is in place and the main trailer plug wiring installed - new hole in the inner guard and grommet.

IMG_1839.jpeg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks great! Your's looks much better than mine underneath, although mine has actually taken the salty winter roads pretty good

·
Registered
607 Posts
Looks great! Your's looks much better than mine underneath, although mine has actually taken the salty winter roads pretty good
Cheers. Although I’d hope mine looks clean under there, its still brand new with only has 2000kms on the clock ;)

But no, no salt down here ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Haha then I would also expect nothing less . But it's very nice to work on rust free cars, like I said above, I have an old Volvo at our summer house in Thailand and it still has the paper sticker from the factory on the rear axle after 26 years.

·
Registered
954 Posts
That Autohak seems to be nicely made. More rigid as the other one aswell. That is good news as I am considering the same bar.

If anyone has towing experiences to share I'll be happy to read them. Besides the brake balance I believe the Giulietta should make an excellent tow hatchback.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That Autohak seems to be nicely made. More rigid as the other one aswell. That is good news as I am considering the same bar.

If anyone has towing experiences to share I'll be happy to read them. Besides the brake balance I believe the Giulietta should make an excellent tow hatchback.
I was impressed, neat welds and a very hard powder coat on it. I just got the bolt on version, but there is a detachable type as well for more dollars.

I don’t know about the towing ability, dual clutch autos are a long way from ideal tow rigs! Mine is 99% bike rack use, and maybe a very occasional light trailer use.

If you have a manual it would be better maybe. The basic chassis should be fine, although by Australian standards it’s a small car and not something you’d see towing!!

Its a big and often dirty bike ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Haha then I would also expect nothing less . But it's very nice to work on rust free cars, like I said above, I have an old Volvo at our summer house in Thailand and it still has the paper sticker from the factory on the rear axle after 26 years.
Oh yes, in case you were wondering how its still only got 2000kms on it, this is another car from the one I first tried to put a tow bar on. In the interim, we had a massive hailstorm and the other car was written off by the insurance company!! The new car is an identical twin, except this one has electric leather seats - so now I have that little fuse box in the boot to take power from for the trailer lights :)

I lost the Megane in the same hail storm as well... An expensive day!!

Here is my old one awaiting auction... 2016 Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Pickles

81 - 100 of 103 Posts