Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Caution Thick Black Wire in Boot Harness

On my Giulietta the thickest black 'wire' in the boot is actually the antenna, the other thick black wire is dead, no matter what you do. Did I say washer hose?:eek: Anyways I did not find a problem running 12v the grommet can just be seen if you take off the 3 stud panel below the glovebox. Push your rigid wire through and tape your new cable to the end as flush as possible, then pull it back though again to the car interior.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
On my Giulietta the thickest black 'wire' in the boot is actually the rear screen wash hose, the other thick black wire is dead, no matter what you do.:eek:
The other thick wire is the ariel wire if you have the ariel built into the rear window.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Good to see the guide is still proving helpful.

Incredible to note that some people think to question why towbars are fitted. The answer is simple. If you need to ask, you don't understand; if you understand, you don't need to ask. I use mine regularly for towing my boat trailer and rib, and a trailer for taking waste to the tip, furniture to wherever and for building and gardening materials. I'd like to think that as a consequence my car's interior is pristine, but as a dog owner I have to just resort to blitzing. The dog resents traveling in the trailer and isn't big enough to tow one! :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Towbar Wiring Trauma

Well I really do need to say a big thank you to 'Whiskymac' for the excellent advice given on tow bar fitting on the Giulietta.
That said I decided to do the wiring to the relay first combining the advice from 'Whiskymac' and moving on to locate some of the other wires namely fog light and reverse lamps so that I have the entire fitting to the relay completed ready to couple up to the 12n socket.
Well, having exposed most of the wires in the loom to find the desired extra connections some strange things were happening on the voltmeter.
With a great deal of switching on and off on both the fog lights and the reversing lights I eventually found two wires which responded to the switching, one which read 8.4v on the reverse lights and another which gave only 0.2v on the fog lights, no other responses to the switching process from any of the other wires, so reflecting on the weirdness of can bus systems I am assuming that I have now located the other wires.
I will power up the relay tomorrow together with the 12n socket and start to measure outputs, all of which should by rights be 12v to all systems.
My main concern is the 0.2v from the fog light wire, hopefully this will be enough to trigger the relay to providing a full 12v output to the 12n socket.
If anyone knows anything different I would love to know, I will follow up if this is successful.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
If you think all this is complicated, I remember a day when the trailer cable broke (or was worn through more likely), on an Army Landrover to Army trailer connection. There were about 20 wires and we had to get it legal to proceed, on a roadside in Wales. Fortunately it wasn't raining for a change. It took hours!

You should always have 12V or more on a powered wire. A small voltage is wrong. I'm not sure why some wires have these small voltages, sometimes in the switched off mode.

Good luck. All this input can only help the brave souls who follow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Low Voltages

Thanks for your reply Whiskeymac, the really annoying thing is that these are 'switched' low voltages and revert to zero when either the fog or the reverse is switched off and...they are the only two wires in the loom responding to the switching.
I too am retired so have time to sort it out. The crunch is that I used to be in electronics but never encountered all wires of the same colour, 'black' ,but yes, I have seen relays activated by very small voltages and putting power down the line, that's their job. Off to connect the 12n and see if it works.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Still No Joy

Okay, those low voltage wires did not trigger the relay, so have now armed myself with a LED tester and will be going in there again tomorrow and this time going to resolve it for once and all. To think that I was once Instruments and Airframes in the RAF and even Vulcan nuclear bombers never gave me the grief that fitting tow bar electrics in a Giulietta:rant: does!

·
Registered
56 Posts
All bar one wire

At last everything is now functioning, well almost, I just cannot find the elusive fog light wire! If anyone has any ideas I would love to know. If it comes to the crunch I can piggy back from the fuse box and run a wire to the bypass relay in the boot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No Caravan

Is it abhorrent for a Giulietta owner to tow a motorcycle then, I bet half of the purist Alfistis have never ridden a motorcycle. I bought my Alfas because the had decent handling, not quite motorcycle but none the less good handling akin to the experience.:lol:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
These are really cracking guides BUT, who is towing with a G? Why buy a lotus to pull a caravan??
Read the posts!!

Some of us can't afford a separate Landrover to tow the occasional trailer. The beauty of a hidden attachment for a detachable towbar is that nobody need ever know that it's there. That is why many corkscrews have a bottle opener attached. Multifunctional.

Now please keep posts to the subject of helping others with fitting. If you want to rant, please do it elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well said Whiskeymac :thumbs:

In fact I have just changed my 1.6 G to a 2.0 JTDM-2 and swapped the tow bar over so i can tow my Caravan.
It keeps the wife happy and me as I can still have fun in the G when not towing.

On the question from Gilbere The fog lights wires are you using a 7 Pin or 13 pin Euro electrics?
If it's 7 pin then these don't disconnect the car's fog lights when plugged into the trailer if it's 13 pin then these must disconnect the cars fog lights. The wires are black along with many other wires I used a 12v test lamp to locate the correct wires. They are on both sides of the vehicle at the rear going up the pillar. On the 13 pin you need to cut both wires and join in the ones from the wiring harness.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Olly1, It has been raining the past few days but I will get in there again with my tester today. They would all be black wouldn't they. Other problem is doing it on your own and constantly switching on and off. Thinl I will run a little pulley from the rear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Towbar and Electrics Complete

All up and running now and all works fine. One thing I would say, I used the Italian Umbra Rimorchi tow bar and it has pre drilled holes to refit the big rubber bumper thing which sits inside the bumper. It really does appear to be a better designed and thought out tow bar than some of the other offerings. Plus it was a perfect fit when offering up. Pleased I went for the Italian job.:)

G

·
Sorry if I upset the majority on here but towing and Alfa are not two words that belong in the same sentence! Biking is another world!

·
Registered
607 Posts
At the risk of horrifying some members, I am about to embark on fitting a tow bar to our 2016 MA170 TCT. 90% of it is for bike rack duty, but I do have a trailer that gets some use - we have two large sea kayaks and the trailer has racks for them - they're too big to get two onto a roof rack.

Anyhoo, I've gone for a basic Umbra Rimorchi unit. Just the bolt on version, I am not vain about the car and the tow bar never needs to come off really as every weekend at least it will have the bike rack on it to get to the mountain bike trails :)

I have tested the fat black wires in the boot and no joy. But - there is a big fat terminal on the fuse box that's a permanent 12v feed. I assumed its for an option I don't have (power and/or heated seats maybe?). Or maybe its a Guilia thing only and when the shared fuse box is in a Guilietta its redundant?

First photo in this thread - https://www.alfaowner.com/threads/giulia-fuses-identifying-fuses.1119802/ Who knows what the blue plug with one red wire is connected to? This is missing on my car and I am keen to use the feed with a big spade connector...

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is a fuse box in the boot under the carpet trim behind the left rear wheel. I use that with with a "fuse with current tap" when installing a tow bar earlier this year. It has a few empty slots.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts