Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm in the middle of fitting the rear coilovers and stopped for a t break now the original springs are off,

Just looking at the adjustable coilovers, anyway probably should have asked before starting but I'm assuming the bump stop cup has to go?

And the coilovers go in this order?

image.jpg

Cheers Jon

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think I have figured it out

IMG_1129.jpg

However to get them to fit I have had to remove e a nut, not that it looks like it is doing anything.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I've not seen that set up before and it dosen't look right to me. Youv'e got a lot of metal on metal and looking at the original and from when I did my rear suspension, there is a rubber gasket at the top and the bump stop is fitted into the cup that fits inside the spring. The bump stop is not at the spring pan end.
On the explode eper diagram there should be another rubber gasket called a thrust ring at the base between the spring pan and the spring.
Too me without those rubber thrust rings, the metal will be against metal which will cause wear and Alfa would not have designed and include Rubber protection if it was not necessary.
I think you need to ask whoever the parts came from. I don't know what that bolt is for?

·
Registered
500 Posts
That's not right.
Nothing but the spring and rubber mount should go on the moving part (spring pan)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The bolt goes through the springpan from the underside and firmly fixes the height adjuster to the springpan. There is then, no metal against metal movement.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The bolt goes through the springpan from the underside and firmly fixes the height adjuster to the springpan. There is then, no metal against metal movement.
Pkr What does that height adjuster do? I do remember that there is a hole through the spring pan. How does that part affect anything? Is it just to stop the spring compressing beyond the height it is set?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Think of it as an adjustable pad between the spring and spring pan. Wind it one way and the ride height increases, the other way to reduce ride height. With the coilovers on the front being adjustable in the same way, all 4 corners can then be adjusted for a precise ride height and rake.

·
Registered
500 Posts
WAW! i would never have thought that.
I wouldn't bolt anything through my spring pans, they are **** weak as it is without bolting things through them

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guys, no instructions I bought them second hand. I watched a few vids on eBay and got their in the end, it bolts through the bottom of the spring pan, there is a hole in the spring pan already wher this bolt goes, the hole is were the little rubber bump stop rebound would normally go.

Just going to let them settle before I adjust the ride height

Cheers guys

·
Registered
622 Posts
All the rear coilover setups for the 916 seem to be terrible at the rear!

KW, FK, Intrax.. they are all in correct at the rear. Not exactly confidence inspiring.
The spring and pan arm move in quite an arc, something all these hokey and pointless height adjuster systems don't seem to take into account.

Ive got PCA dynamics rear springs same spec as those supplied with the Intrax RS but wound to match OE springs.
Has the correct amount of preload, sits 5mm lower. Everything moves in the correct arc. No metal on metal etc

Reactions: bussoDiego

·
Registered
622 Posts
Jon from the pictures. It looks like you have eibach rear springs anyway?

Just use those with oem bumps, top cups and rubber isolators.

Reactions: bussoDiego

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys, the red spring are to high, only lowered the car 20mm. I have fitted the blue fk springs and I'm happy with the results, car sits nice and low, drove to work fine today and looks great.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No fillings and Pearly white :biglaugh:

The original fk coilovers were super hard, back breaking hard! Lol! but I have just replaced them with these fk coilover with adjustable koni shocks, on the softest setting not too bad at all.

·
Registered
622 Posts
only lowered the car 20mm
Only, That's hardcore :D

FK Konisports are bound to be better than the boggo FK's they were terribly matched.

I like the way the FK rear springs are wound they just don't seat properly without the wobbly height adjusters and too much metal on cuss quality Italian metal.

Low and comfortable on a spider. That's fine I'd say.

Pictures needed

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Hi guys, the red spring are to high, only lowered the car 20mm. I have fitted the blue fk springs and I'm happy with the results, car sits nice and low, drove to work fine today and looks great.
The original fk coilovers were super hard, back breaking hard! Lol! but I have just replaced them with these fk coilover with adjustable koni shocks, on the softest setting not too bad at all.
I'm slightly confused.......have you had FK coil overs before & now replaced with another set(blue springs} with adjustable Koni front inserts & Koni adj rears.........or have you only fitted the rears?

Clive

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Clive I had height adjuster fk coilovers fitted on the front for two/three months, they are low and the car handled like it was on rails, however the ride has been back breaking and unbearable for the daily drive.

I then bought a full set of coilovers, front and rears. I fitted the front last week and just now the rears.

Also Clive what's your option on fitting a red dash and door cards to my j10 spider? I had the autodelta broasher through and torn between putting back to how it was, and putting back to how it was plus a few little nice upgrades like the red interior etc.

These coilovers are so much better, height adjustable and shock adjustable, the shocks are koni, springs fk's. The ride is so so much better, it's low and handles great but also I can use daily without the back ache ��

The only pic I have jowey is this one but it's more focused on my boy, the ride height won't be everyone's cup of tea but I don't care it's my car and I like it ��

IMG_1155.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts