Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fitting new outer door seals - the curved ones that run down the outer lip of the door aperture...ahead of the rear wheels.

I have slid the new semi-rigid channel over the little studs....no probs.

The problem is then sliding the rubber onto this channel. The slot in the rubber is so feeble that the bloody thing hardly grips and no matter how careful I am as I align it and slide it on (lubricated with washing liquid) and try and keep it running smoothly into the channel, the rotten thing pops out further down the channel.

I also wonder that even if I do get it on in one piece the grip is so pathetic that the slightest knock will pull it off.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some sort of adhesive I'm supposed to use?

Or is this just another example of crap Alfa Romeo design?

From looking at other threads on this topic plenty of people seem to have to replace them but nobody has complained about the problem I'm having in fitting the rotten things.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I'm fitting new outer door seals - the curved ones that run down the outer lip of the door aperture...ahead of the rear wheels.

I have slid the new semi-rigid channel over the little studs....no probs.

The problem is then sliding the rubber onto this channel. The slot in the rubber is so feeble that the bloody thing hardly grips and no matter how careful I am as I align it and slide it on (lubricated with washing liquid) and try and keep it running smoothly into the channel, the rotten thing pops out further down the channel.

I also wonder that even if I do get it on in one piece the grip is so pathetic that the slightest knock will pull it off.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some sort of adhesive I'm supposed to use?

Or is this just another example of crap Alfa Romeo design?

From looking at other threads on this topic plenty of people seem to have to replace them but nobody has complained about the problem I'm having in fitting the rotten things.
Not a great design:tut: 3 Velcro strips solved ours ( top. middle, bottom ):thumbs:

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
I've fitted loads of these with no problems, never had to use a lubricant, you must be doing something wrong?

Have you got the guide the right way round?

Try fitting the rubber on first to check.

The only tricky bit is the top, I normally turn the tape around to aid removal at the end.

Clive

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just used lubricant to make it easier, probably not absolutely necessary.

I'm sure I have the guide on correctly....matched it to what came off and you can clearly see how it is meant to fit together.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "I normally turn the tape around to aid removal at the end".

Can you elaborate? Thanks!

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
I just used lubricant to make it easier, probably not absolutely necessary.

I'm sure I have the guide on correctly....matched it to what came off and you can clearly see how it is meant to fit together.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "I normally turn the tape around to aid removal at the end".

Can you elaborate? Thanks!
the orange tape at the top which you pull off to stick the top of the rubber to the body.

I find it easier to pull it from the opposite side that Alfa have put it.

The rubbers are sided, left & right.

Clive

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have always fitted the track to the rubber first and then the complete assembly to the car.
Have done this several times on a GTV and just did the same to spider last week.

Graham

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I have always fitted the track to the rubber first and then the complete assembly to the car.
Have done this several times on a GTV and just did the same to spider last week.

Graham
:thumbs: exactly what i did with mine didn't even need to replace the rubber just the plastic strips as they were snapped, popped the new runner in the rubber then slid straight on no problems

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
:thumbs: exactly what i did with mine didn't even need to replace the rubber just the plastic strips as they were snapped, popped the new runner in the rubber then slid straight on no problems
Hardly "just another example of crap Alfa design" as the OP says is it!

Notice how "finger trouble" is then blamed on Alfa.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All done. The method that worked for me was to put the channel on first and then just more or less squash the rubber flat as you slide it on. It is very soft and malleable so takes to being pushed out flat as you slide it on.

Gets a better grip this way than trying to be too careful and attempting to slide it on while retaining its normal shape.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Have been faffing with these this afternoon. My car didn't have them and so I didn't have a reference of which way they should go on. I tried looking at eBay and Autotrader ads to see any close up pics that might indicate which one goes on which side, but to no avail. Holding them both up, they naturally curve in the shape of the cars body, so I have fitted them as such, rather than forcing them to go against the curve. It also makes sense from a door profile point of view, as the part of the door that juts inwards on closing, would meet up with the part of the seal that is fatter. Anyhow, this wound me up no end and I am attaching a picture of the driver's side, in the hope that one of you can tell me if I have put it on correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think the rubber is seperate from the plastic track it's on. I read somewhere you fit the track first then slide the rubber on afterwards. Dunno how true this is mind.
Thanks - I didn't have any difficulty getting the rubber onto the plastic strip - it is just whether I have the complete seals on the right sides of the car. Does the pic look like your car?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't think it is upside down, as they are open at the other end, so the sticky bit must be at the top. It is just a matter of deciding which side of the car it is meant to go.

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Wrong side...

Have been faffing with these this afternoon. My car didn't have them and so I didn't have a reference of which way they should go on. I tried looking at eBay and Autotrader ads to see any close up pics that might indicate which one goes on which side, but to no avail. Holding them both up, they naturally curve in the shape of the cars body, so I have fitted them as such, rather than forcing them to go against the curve. It also makes sense from a door profile point of view, as the part of the door that juts inwards on closing, would meet up with the part of the seal that is fatter. Anyhow, this wound me up no end and I am attaching a picture of the driver's side, in the hope that one of you can tell me if I have put it on correctly.

....the one in your picture is the passenger (left side) door's not driver's (right side). The softer side goes inside & the top follows the shape of the wing.

I've attached some pictures, the best I can find, unfortunately not had the need to take close ups of the rubbers before.

Clive

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply and pics Clive. :thumbs: That is very helpful - I was expecting the verdict to be that it was on the wrong way - it just didn't look right once on the car, no matter how much I tried to justify that it was.

I am going to get up earlier tomorrow and swop them around before work, otherwise this is going to nag at my OCD tendencies the entire day in the office! :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts