Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to fit a new front wheelarch liner, as the brand new one I had fitted a couple of weeks ago appears to have worked loose and has been damaged by the front wheel. I suspect the mounting block for the front self tapper went missing (as it's not there now), allowing the front part to jump out of the wing.

I have a new one plus new mounting blocks for the self tappers. It looks like all I will need to do is take the wheel off, unscrew the remaining screw and pull the arch liner out, putting the new one in should be the reverse of that.

So could I ask anyone that's done it, is it really as simple as I am assuming? If it's a really, really easy job I may be able to do it myself......:lol:

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
129 Posts
Pretty simple, but it's easy to bend the "lips" of the wheel arches if you try to force the old one out. They need to be "squashed" / "bent" and then they come out fine. I found fitting was easier than removing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty simple, but it's easy to bend the "lips" of the wheel arches if you try to force the old one out. They need to be "squashed" / "bent" and then they come out fine. I found fitting was easier than removing.
Thanks, I hope mine will come out easily as it is broken at the front and keeps popping out of the wheelarch (it is currently held in with gaffer tape).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you don't mind me asking.

How much is a new arch liner? Where did you get yours from?

My near side one has vapourised at the front quarter.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't mind me asking.

How much is a new arch liner? Where did you get yours from?

My near side one has vapourised at the front quarter.
About 80 quid new, Autolusso.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to fit a new front wheelarch liner, as the brand new one I had fitted a couple of weeks ago appears to have worked loose and has been damaged by the front wheel. I suspect the mounting block for the front self tapper went missing (as it's not there now), allowing the front part to jump out of the wing.

I have a new one plus new mounting blocks for the self tappers. It looks like all I will need to do is take the wheel off, unscrew the remaining screw and pull the arch liner out, putting the new one in should be the reverse of that.

So could I ask anyone that's done it, is it really as simple as I am assuming? If it's a really, really easy job I may be able to do it myself......:lol:

Cheers,

Nigel
Undo the wheel, unscrew it, give it a yank, go looking for and find the screw you've missed, then pull it out. AL will more than likely have had them out so you shouldn't have any issues with corroded screws.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, use a trolley jack and an axle stand. If you use the car's scissor jack you stand a good chance of the car falling off it when you pull the liner out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, use a trolley jack and an axle stand. If you use the car's scissor jack you stand a good chance of the car falling off it when you pull the liner out.
Cool, that's the plan. I have new blocks for the screws as well plus a couple of spares if I somehow bugger them up in the process one is missing anyway).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, after a couple of hours of swearing and sweating I managed it, which for me is a major achievement as I am a complete klutz with mechanics. Let's hope it doesn't get damaged again......

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had to replace mine as well couple of weeks ago.
Alfa still sells them as original part, and abviously the GTA version is more expensive than the regular ones (which do not fit on GTA).
Fairly easy job, I did it myself as well and besides cleaning, I do not work on my car :)

I got mine without all the screws and blocks, seems that I need to get those installed as well to avoid repeated damage (and 80 EURO lost)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts