Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently changed the dipped headlight bulbs, and even after heeding the warnings on this forum managed to ping of the clip and spent half an hour trying to get it back in by touch !!
I must admit after spending an intimate half an hour with the driver side bulb, the passenger side bulb was fitted in about 2 minutes!

For info, very gently push the clip forward and then sideways towards the engine, if you overdo it the clip comes off !!

Anyway, just about to replace the main beams, and the instructions are terrible, 'Move toward'
!!! move toward what !!!

Not wanting a repeat performance of the clip coming off, do I push the 2 sides of clip together or pull away from back of bulb?

Any advice appreciated !!

thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
main beam bulbs were slightly easier to get at and remove - IIRC the clip is similar, in a bit and across a bit to release, and the only trick is to look very carefully at the orientation of the metal surround to the bulb as it comes out - there is a square bit that seats somewhere in a less than intuitive manner

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
What did you buy for H1s?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the Philips Blue Vision Ultra for my dipped, and although whiter than the stock bulbs, they are still yellow compared to DRLs. so I've gone for a cheap set of Ultra Power Bulbs 5000k, for Dipped and Main.

They get good reviews on other forums.

I had Bi Xenons on my previous car and didnt realise how much i'd miss them !!
I know Halogen bulbs will never get close to them, but I think the stock ones ruin the look of my Giulietta at night!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Thanks, I'm looking for something close to 4000K, but with clear bulb... Will get Osram Silverstars probably. H7s were measured 4060K in some test.

·
Registered
195 Posts
try new Osram cool blue intense .... i fitted mine a few weeks ago...

All customers wanting a stylish look and strong light should fit the new OSRAM COOL BLUE® INTENSE. With an increased colour temperature and up to 20 % more light, it easily casts other “blue” lamps into the shade.

With up to 4200 Kelvin, OSRAM COOL BLUE® INTENSE is currently the bluest automotive lamp on the market that complies with ECE regulations. With its powerful, bluish, bright white light in a cool look similar to xenon lamps.

Up to 4200 Kelvin
Up to 20% more light*
Bluish, bright white light (up to 4200 Kelvin, similar to the colour temperature of xenon lamps)
Up to 20% more light*
Brighter, and therefore more pleasant light for the driver

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have them as H7s. But I don't want anything blue as H1s - since they are "naked", the blue coating would be visible, which would look kind of cheap...
Ordered H1 Silverstars yesterday - will see how they look compared to Cool Blue.

BTW, this 4200K is crap. I've seen somewhere that 4200K is for W5W bulbs or similar - H7 were around 3700K, as far as I remember.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fitted, the Ultra Power Bulbs 5000k last night, much better match for DRLs than the Philips Blue Vision Ultra although not as bright.

Going to take the car for a spin down some lark lanes tonight to check them out properly.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just got some Osram Nightbreaker Plus and was going to change them. I've never come across a headlight clip like this before. Someone above said push the clip, which way? Do I need to push in on it then move it across or pull it to release the bulb? Am I pushing towards the front of the car or pulling the clip back towards the engine? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
For H1 you pull towards the engine bay and move both outwards. For H7 you push towards car front and centre of the car (be gentle with these).

·
Registered
280 Posts
For H1 you pull towards the engine bay and move both outwards. For H7 you push towards car front and centre of the car (be gentle with these).
It was the H1 I tried first. I tried pulling the clip but it wouldn't move. Dots it take a bit of force? Does the while clip come away with the bulb? Previous caress I've had had hinged clips. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Do it one side at a time... Pull gently towards the engine and move outside. It's easily accessible and with a good light you'll quickly know what to do. It took me 5 minutes to change both, while with H7 it was almost 40 minutes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
ProTip - use camera on your phone or a dentist mirror to see what you are dealing with. This makes "imagining" the movement to undo the clip way easier
Gonna try that this weekend, stick the phone down there and get a few shots. I figured out what I was doing wrong with the upper clips so that should be fairly straight forward. Hmmm, now how tricky are the fogs? :D

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Bumper removal needed?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Well, I do not care about fogs at all - I've used them for 10 minutes maybe and I've been owning the car for 8 months now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Drove to work this morning with the new bulbs fitted and it appears that both beams from the dipped beam are pointing to the left, right towards the pavement. They're not scattered and I would say the left light is probably pointing in the right direction, it just seems the right light is pointing at the same place and not ahead down the road. I'm going to take it in to my local dealer at lunchtime for them to check. It felt like I had the bulbs in the right place and flat. The clip went back on okay too. Strange!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts