Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the one job I've been defeated on many many time - I just cant get the new cable to go through the hole in the bulkhead - its impossible to see it even lying upside-down in the footwell - I think its a dash off job and that's not something I'm willing to contemplate... I've tried to pull the new cable through by taping it to another cable and pulling it through but it always comes off because the hole is too small, anyone got any good ideas on how to do it/
Cheers

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,576 Posts
is that the combined inner and outer you are trying to push through?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
This is the one job I've been defeated on many many time - I just cant get the new cable to go through the hole in the bulkhead - its impossible to see it even lying upside-down in the footwell - I think its a dash off job and that's not something I'm willing to contemplate... I've tried to pull the new cable through by taping it to another cable and pulling it through but it always comes off because the hole is too small, anyone got any good ideas on how to do it/
Cheers
It's definitely do-able because I did it on mine (helpful comment)

But it was probably 20 years ago and I can't remember how I did it (unhelpful comment)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I placed a torch in the engine bay so I could see the hole from the footwell. Bit of faffing.
Required lower dash piece removal.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is that the combined inner and outer you are trying to push through?
I need to replace both but only the inner goes through the bulkhead, the outer is clamped by the screw thingy, its getting the inner through the teeny hole I find so difficult, I've tried attaching the new cable to one I've pushed in from the engine bay but they just keep coming apart

"It's definitely do-able because I did it on mine (helpful comment)

But it was probably 20 years ago and I can't remember how I did it (unhelpful comment)"

Err.......... thanks Harry..........I think

"I placed a torch in the engine bay so I could see the hole from the footwell. Bit of faffing.
Required lower dash piece removal."

Thanks SW - neat idea I'll give it a a go

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,576 Posts
Ah, I can see a difference! My inner and outer goes through a rubber bung, the outer is clamped inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Actually my inner and outter go through too
- outer clamped to top of carbs before inner runs to choke mechanisms.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Have you tried taping (strong grey duct tape) string to the cable and pulling that through? Preferably two bits of string, taped on opposite sides of the cable outer, (one taped/wrapped first, THEN the other with a second layer of tape - this will give a secure connection and importantly allow the outer cable to be pulled straight, as it were...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've tried taping the inner cable to another cable fed from the engine bay end end to end but the tape always gets caught on the hole and pulls off - maybe I should try soldering them together - I think part of the problem is the convoluted route the cable has to take under the dash - its not a straight run that's for sure - if i could get the inner cable through the bulkhead the outer should slot into place no probs

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Next option is 2 or 3 metres of fishing line (nylon) about 12lb breaking strain.
Push through hole from engine bay.
Then tie it to inner with a whipping knot - should pull through ok.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Actually my inner and outter go through too
- outer clamped to top of carbs before inner runs to choke mechanisms.
That reads like you are describing the choke cable, not the hand throttle?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That reads like you are describing the choke cable, not the hand throttle?
Ah looks like it - that ones easy - I've binned mine as I never use the choke anyway, just to be clear this is a factory RHD S2 - I'm having another go at the moment - going to try and solder the cable to another one I fed through from the engine side of the bulkhead - Oh ... the hours you can while away fettling your Alfa ................

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DONE IT....! - finally......., spent hours fiddling with it today - the soldering idea was rubbish as it kept breaking so in the end I drilled the cable hole in the bulkhead bigger to give the inner cable half a chance of hitting the right spot and after taping the cables together for the umpteenth time it finally found the spot and it works, not bad considering I've been trying to sort it for 4 years - now for some detailing ready for SAD, much more enjoyable

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
We should try and find each other at SAD, I will be in or around our S2 junior, easy to spot as it is a Kamm tail with a metal dash, looks like a Duetto inside, got a 79 in the number plate.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We should try and find each other at SAD, I will be in or around our S2 junior, easy to spot as it is a Kamm tail with a metal dash, looks like a Duetto inside, got a 79 in the number plate.
Definitely - mines a blue S2 with...... a hand throttle.... and momos with B&W plates on a P - I'm going to put a little sticker on my screen with my AKA - looking forward to it - great drive cross country too

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
We're going to Bath for a wedding on the Saturday, which is 20% in the right direction(ish) for SAD - mentioned it to my other half last night, who amazingly said she wouldn't be averse to going.....

If we do make it, I'll be the one in a Honda Accord Tourer with a slightly mental white dog (see avatar)

PS - to help swing it, can anyone suggest some good "selling points" I can present to a non-alfista ie wood fired pizza wagon in attendance etc....?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
We're going to Bath for a wedding on the Saturday, which is 20% in the right direction(ish) for SAD - mentioned it to my other half last night, who amazingly said she wouldn't be averse to going.....

If we do make it, I'll be the one in a Honda Accord Tourer with a slightly mental white dog (see avatar)

PS - to help swing it, can anyone suggest some good "selling points" I can present to a non-alfista ie wood fired pizza wagon in attendance etc....?
Lovely Gardens apparently at Beaulieu, nice drive through New Forest, decent weather forecast (cool but sunny), nice palace, an antique monorail and I think there's a small Motor Museum too.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
"I think there's a small Motor Museum "
Live and learn........... that'll be a bonus then ......although I prefer looking round a stately pile myself.......and the drives a bit of a chore... still, all in the name of supporting the club I spose...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did from CA, and yes, but in the end only used the new inner cable as I didnt want to take the console apart to remove the outer cable - the original inner cable had a sharp kink in it which meant it wouldn't slide back up the outer - if you understand my meaning...
FL025/1 SPIDER HAND THROTTLE CABLE 1970-87 - Classic Alfa

1 - 20 of 25 Posts