Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent yesterday and today fitting new, discs and pads to the car. I haven't finished it yet as it took ages to strip the calipers and clean everything up. I also decided to paint the calipers. I ordered Goodridge hoses, but when I tried to fit them I couldn't work out which two were for the front and which were for the back. One pair is longer and has an extra gromet on it and some rubber sheathing. I thought this was for the front, but it seems too long when you offer it up to the car and compare it to the original rubber one. The original ones all seem to be of similar length, and the goodridge a little longer. According to the packaging they are for my car. Does anyone have any experience of fitting these to a 147 2.0ts?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
the extra rubber grommet signifies it a front for when the wheels are steering

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, but the hose seems too long when compared to the original

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
they will also be too long for the rear so they are better fitted to the front than the rear.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm concerned by fitting them, that they may kink if they are too long, because there's too much hose over too short a distance?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi, before you go any further check the end fittings to make sure they are the correct type, I just got a set of HEL hoses and the fittings are the reverse of the ones on my 156 (I checked with a Goodridge supplier and was told they are the same as the HEL). I originally fitted a set of OMP hoses but one of them got damaged. The HEL ones have a convex (domed) shape on the inside of the fitting which attaches to the car, and concave (dished) at the caliper end, these require copper crush washers to seal the joint between the hose and caliper, the correct fiting is domed and self sealing. At the car end, if your solid hose has a domed end then the odds are that the dome in the solid line and the dome in the braided hose will combine to prevent the nut on the solid line from threading onto the fitting far enough to engage sufficiently to put enough torque onto it to seal the joint (at best) and/or strip the bottom couple of turns off the nut (at worst), check the new fittings look the same as the end fittings on the first hose you remove from the car. The caliper end is not a big deal as crush washers will work, if the other end is incorrect don't go any further as you may end up needing to have a new brake line fitted from the abs to the wheel arch. I got a set of new hoses from a guy called Alfaman in Harrow, he advertises in Auto Italia, they cost about £70 not including postage.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I bought a set of front hoses to order from hosesolutions.co.uk to fit my Brembo calipers. I just told them I needed the same fitting as the 156 at one end of the hose and gave them the thread size for my Brembos, a very helpful company and I received exactly what I wanted from them for £30 delivered.

They sell HEL kits for Alfa at £55 for 4 hoses, for some reason they dont have 147 or 156 kits on their website but clearly they know what fitting is required as the hoses fitted perfect to my car.

Your hoses shouldnt be more than a couple of cm longer than standard, any more than that and I would be reluctant to fit them. The hose does need to be able to take up the movement of the suspension at maximum steering lock

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The connections are all correct and fit, although the thread seems too long so does not clamp down on the crush washers they supply. Perhaps PTFE tape on the thread should seal it? I just thing the pipes are too long. There's also nothing to indicate which is front and rear? I assume that the one with the extra rubber gromit and sheathing is for the front. It seemsto be a good 2-3 inches longer than the original.

Good guide by the way Chris - might have to refer to that later when completing my brakes. When you did yours, did you find the outer pad moves between the caliper and the disc? Mine doesn't seem to be secured in the caliper and you can move it about. This doesn't seem right, but i'm sure i've done it properly.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
2-3 inches longer :eek:

thats quite a bit longer than standard and IMO they should be the exact same as the hoses you have already - personally I wouldnt fit them

·
0 Posts
Eek - I got some recently - think am gonna double check before attempting to fit

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just checked again. Original rears are approximately same length as what seems to be the Goodridge fronts. The other Goodridge hoses are longer than the original fronts.:confused: Fitment specifically states alfa 147 2.0:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spoke with Goodridge and they said that there can be differneces in length between their ones and the originals, so I think I'm going to have a crack at it tomorrow. Could somebody explain how those copper crush washers they supply are meant to work. The originals don't have them?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Simply put the crush washer over the threaded union and tighten it down onto the caliper, so you have a sandwich with the washer between the brake line fitting and the caliper, it's a good idea to keep some spare ones just in case you take it all apart, Halfords or any carparts store stock them in various sizes, you shpold never re-use them as the idea is that the soft coppr is compressed and forms a seal between the bottom of the fitting and the top surface of the caliper, it will do this reliably only once.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
I fitted goodridge braided hoses to my 2.0 ts didn't have any probs. seem to think crush washers didn't get used ,think they are for different calipers.I'd fit long hoses at front .

delboy156ts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,
I fitted goodridge braided hoses to my 2.0 ts didn't have any probs. seem to think crush washers didn't get used ,think they are for different calipers.I'd fit long hoses at front .

delboy156ts
Did you find the front hoses longer than the original ones?

When I did a trial run, it seemed as though the thread wouldn't turn enough to clamp down on to the crush washer. hopefully it'll come good when I try again tomorrow

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes think they are a bit longer ,alows for the steering,i wondered what the crush washers were for when i screwed the hose in it didn't crush so took it off. Bleed brakes but was a bit dissapointed with results.

delboy156ts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fitted the hoses and reassembled the calipers and everything. Couldn't get the crush washers to - well crush, so I put two together, seems to have done the trick. I'm fairly happy with the hoses, but I still think they are a bit too long! My problem now is bleeding the system. I have blead each caliper starting from the rear and pumped the brakes until the new blue ATE fluid comes through. All the air bubbles seem to have cleared, but I am left with a mushy pedal that has too much travel. The brakes work but at about 50% strength. Is it possible there is an air lock somewhere? Although I was careful, I think on one occassion I let the resevoir empty. I think I may have sucked air in! I don't have a bleeding kit, but if I was to catch the new fluid in a bottle with the aid of a hose, can I put it back into the resevoir ( kind of recycle it) and just keep doing this until the air is expelled???

Many Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi ,
don't think it matters where you start as each caliper has its own fluid pipe from the abs unit. I used a self bleed kit , didn't rate it much, used a jam jar and pipe , got the misses to pump the brake make sure the res. is kept topped up . I think if you are short of fluid make sure it is clean and let it stand over night to let the air come to the surface but i would use new every time.

delboy156ts

1 - 20 of 25 Posts