Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

Finally getting around to fit an additional cigarette socket in my 147 and am thinging of using a fuse tap / piggy back fuse connector.

As i have a 3 door 147 I'm thinking of using fuse position F34 which is listed as right hand rear power window. As i dont have rear power windows does anyone know if this circuit is completely free? Handbook only lists this fuse for this window but thought it was a bit odd having fuses in the fusebox if nothing is wired to that position, perhaps they're just supplied that way for ease to the factory?

Anyone know roughtly what amps a phone charger will draw?

regards
justin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whys that then, they're both 20A circuits, I thought using a circuit that wasn't in other use from the fusebox would be less risk of overloading that circuit.

R

·
0 Posts
Replace the fuse with a multimeter and see what current draw you have on the "unused" fuse. Only thing you may have a problem with is if it goes above 10amps as most handheld meters on DC don't go much higher. However in reply to the how much power does a phone charger use question I can state "bugger all". Most phone chargers work at 5volts at 500mA that equals 5 times 0.500 which equals 2.5watts. If you divide 2.5 watts by 12 volts you get 0.208 amps assuming no losses. IIRC the standard batteries are rated at 70Ah so you'll get 336 hours of charge ie 14 days doing nothing but charging your phone!
The point of a fuse is to protect the wiring and devices connected, ie you don't have 2.5mm wire and a 100Amp fuse as the wire is only good for about 32 amps! This is what protects against electrical fires, if all you want to do is a feed to a phone charger use 1mm wire and fuse it with a 5 amp fuse. That equates to 60 watts at 12 volts. If you use good quality wire 1mm is good for 18 amps and a 15 amp fuse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi rhett71

Thanks for the reply.
I think my phone charger is like that as it states that you can't cut the plug off of it as that is what drops it down to I presume the 5volts or there abouts. The extra cig socket that I bought is rated to 16 amps so it must have wire in excess of this. I think the fuse tap is rated at 10 amps for the accessory side. Just got to find an earth point somewhere around the fuse box now to complete the job.

Just thought I'd post these details for anyone else looking as there aren't many places to find the fuse taps.

These are the bits i've used, cable on cig socket just long enough to reach between passenger footwell to fusebox on drivers side.

Croc. Clips / Lighter 12v Socket Adaptor (rpu)

Mini fuse by pass

For some reason "youwantwehave" dont seem to use their main web site so I had to contact them through their ebay shop.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/You-Want-We-Have/Home.html

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Alfabadge,

did you manage to fit an extra cigarette socket in your alfa? I tried doing it today wiring together a piggy back fuse and cigarette scoket but to no avail. Think it was because i couldn't find a decent earth point around the fuse box.....what did you use to earth?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts