Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just spent most of the weekend fitting a new Head Unit and Dash Cam to my 2008 Spider.

I‘ve got the rear camera cable to behind the rear seat, by running the cable under the carpet but now I need to get into the boot. Do I need to run the cable into the area where the hood sits or is there a route to the boot from the cabin?

Also I am thinking about mounting the camera above the number plate but dont really want to take off the bumper unless i really have to.. Could I drill into the boot from the bumper and seal with grommets or is this a bad idea?

Any help thoughts much appreciate.

Cheers

Seacourt

·
Registered
89 Posts
The easiest and least invasive way would be to place camera above numberplate area (there are some fixtures, which combine reverse camera and lights).
There should be some vents in the back already, which you can use to feed the cables through. You can get an idea (or even ask the author about any details) from here - Brera Reverse Light Power Wire

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a rear view camera can’t help with the cable as i had it fitted but the camera I bought is the one which is a number plate surround with the camera incorporated into it, he definitely didn’t remove the the bumper.
The camera has been fine been installed for well over two years.

·
Registered
Brera TBi
196 Posts
I mounted a reversing camera just the other week.

As others have suggested, I bought one that replaces the right hand number plate light so it looks discreet.

There is just enough room, but its very fiddly and a bent coat hanger is required whilst lying on your back under the car, to feed the cables round behind the bumper, past the reversing sensors, over the bumper bar to keep it above the exhaust and then up through the boot air vent which brings you out in the boot corner right below the light cluster.

From here you can then tap into the reversing light for power, mount a ground to any sensible bolt into the chassis and run your RCA cable up through the centre of the car to the head unit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RichardW1992, Thanks for this info. Very useful. I have already brought my reverse cam, but it is just one cable that links the cam to the H/U so no faffing around with connections to the rear lights.

The vent in the boot is a good call to get the cable to the rear of the bumper, thanks. Can you advise where it is as I've had a look but can't see one..! Also can you enlighten me further on the route down the centre of the car from the H/U to the boot? Does it need to cross the space where the hood sits?

Many Thanks

Seacourt..

·
Registered
Brera TBi
196 Posts
RichardW1992, Thanks for this info. Very useful. I have already brought my reverse cam, but it is just one cable that links the cam to the H/U so no faffing around with connections to the rear lights.

The vent in the boot is a good call to get the cable to the rear of the bumper, thanks. Can you advise where it is as I've had a look but can't see one..! Also can you enlighten me further on the route down the centre of the car from the H/U to the boot? Does it need to cross the space where the hood sits?

Many Thanks

Seacourt..
Yes apologies I rather assumed the Spider also had a boot vent in the corner, perhaps it doesn't? If you don't have a vent then I think the only other option is drilling a small hole somewhere (perhaps in the spare wheel well?) Then putting a rubber grommet around it for a snug fit.

As for the roof I can't help you there either, but I imagine there must be a way to run a cable underneath it if you remove enough trim.

·
Registered
623 Posts
All cars have boot vents, the rubber flaps that allow air to escape when the boot in shut. These are hidden behind the bumpers on the corners usually. On some cars with compartments in the boot, such as for the battery, tools, CD stacker etc you will be able to see the flaps from the inside. Otherwise you will have to remove trim pieces.

I don't know about the spider, but if there is a CD stacker or other such things in the boot then you should be able to use that wire route for your reverse camera wire. You might have to remove a bit of trim in the boot, and the cabin to find access route. The route for most of the existing wires for the car, rear lights etc may be on the passenger side instead of drivers side.

If you don't tap into the reverse lights, how does your setup know when the car is in reverse for the screen to switch on? Unless you go to the reverse switch or something else instead.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks mikesalfa, I'll take a closer look..

My reverse Cam links into the Radio and that links into the CanBus that tells it when the car is in reverse gear, so no rear light removal or modification...

Thanks

Seacourt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, Finally found time to finish this job. You need good weather if working outside as the top has to be partially open to facilitate cable running..

OK Step one Take off the door seal, easy to do from the top of the door pillar. In Pic 1 you can see my cable running from the head unit along the edge of the carpet at the bottom of the pic.

Step 2 then you need to remove the Oddment Compartment liner which is held in place with 4 screws. See pic 2.

Then using an electricians mouse ( this was the most useful tool in doing this) I fished between the door and the Oddments compartment and got the cable to this point.

Step 3 open the Top partially and expose the area where the soft top sits. Then use the mouse to fish down into the oddments compartment, making sure that you avoid any areas where the Top Mechanism operates.

Here in Pic 3 you see that I follow the route that the wiring takes well away from any motors, struts etc.
When you have pulled the cable through, go back re-fit the oddments compartment liner and refit the door seal.

Step 5. When you have the cable into this area then you need to carefully close the cover by activating the hood controls (basically put the top all the way back up). Then you can open the boot and remove a couple of flaps inside with the aid of a screwdriver.

Then fish back into the hood area with the mouse. Close the boot, open the partially open the hood, and then attach the cable again. See Pic 4

Then close the hood, and open the boot and pull through the cable as seen in Pic 5.

Step 6 close boot, open hood and then refit any trim check for no slack cable and then refit. Close hood.

Step 7. Then you can route the cable to where you need your camera fitted.

I managed to drill a small hole in the bumper (removing the number plate lights to check that there were no cables behind this area) but I didn't have a long enough drill to drill through into the boot. So did some careful measuring and after removing the inside plastic boot liner, drilled though the boot into the void between boot and bumper. Put the mouse through the hole from the bumper and hey presto firs time the mouse went straight into the boot!! (Could never do that again in a month of Sunday's!). See pic 6.

Then pulled the camera cable through connected fitted a grommet hid the wiring and put back all the boot fittings.

Now the Camera works superbly...

Cheers

Seacourt

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Number plate light/camera. Cables across back of bumper to left hand side, through under light fitting with earth on retaining bolt and pos feed connected to reversing light feed. Main cable through car as per Seacourt description. Camera units are on ebay and work well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi Seacourt, is your car a 2.2 as there are very few in that colour, with that upholstery and a blue hood. I paid a deposit on one a couple of years ago but the car was still sold to someone else the day before I picked it up. Was refunded in full but miffed at the time. The seller was trading from his house with about three other cars for sale. Water under the bridge now as I have this dark blue one with 28k on clock. Just wondered if your car was the same car? If it is, I can give you some background info and history on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Filbyman,
No my car is a 3.2 Q4. A new acquisition purchased from a dealer in London, with 49,000 Miles and a FSH. I liked the colour and that attracted me to it as well... blue seems to be a good colour for a soft top.. (I've had Blue F-Type, Blue Audi TT,) I've also had a Blue Giulia QV... so blue seems to be my colour!
It recently won the Fun Concurs 2020 (Online) - Post 2000 Car of the Surrey AROC section, so others seem to like it as well!

Seacourt

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yours is a great colour combination. I only bought this dark blue one because of the low mileage, but still love your light blue and upholstery colour combination.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts