Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got myself a Quaife diff from Autolusso and I thought I'd get my local garage to pop it in while they changed my engine over. Unfortunately it now seems they don't want to touch anything transmission related, which is fair enough as it's there prerogative, even though just changing it over doesn't over doesn't look like a complicated job.

I've just rang a trustworthy guy in Bristol, just over the river from me, and he told me that just swapping it over is an easy (1 hour) job but he can't give me a guarantee on it as it should to be preloaded (not sure quite what this is) by a machine that used to cost about 6K, and no garage ever bought one.

Now i'm just a buy it off the self and get a garage to fit it sort of bloke, so I really don't know the in's and out's of this. Could anybody shed any light on this?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would get Autolusso to fit it, they fit loads including mine. It might be a long way from you but you'll have peace of mind, a long journey is better than a shattered diff! Maybe your starting point is to give Ned a call and find out if what these garages are telling you is true.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm not to far from alfaholics and I see they sell them too, so I'll give them a ring on Monday. I like autolusso but their just to far from me to get it done by Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The pre-load is a way of ensuring the diff bearing is pre-loaded with an amount of pressure to ensure the diff is properly loaded and runs correctly. It's like torqueing up a hub nut correctly, too much & the hub bearing can be pinched, too little & it can rattle. The diff shim must be fitted & be of the correct size/thickness. I've fitted a quaife recently....it really is not that hard.

Reactions: cgc

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
I got myself a Quaife diff from Autolusso and I thought I'd get my local garage to pop it in while they changed my engine over. Unfortunately it now seems they don't want to touch anything transmission related, which is fair enough as it's there prerogative, even though just changing it over doesn't over doesn't look like a complicated job.

I've just rang a trustworthy guy in Bristol, just over the river from me, and he told me that just swapping it over is an easy (1 hour) job but he can't give me a guarantee on it as it should to be preloaded (not sure quite what this is) by a machine that used to cost about 6K, and no garage ever bought one.

Now i'm just a buy it off the self and get a garage to fit it sort of bloke, so I really don't know the in's and out's of this. Could anybody shed any light on this?
Diff is easy to fit while the engine and box is out, get them to phone me and I will talk them through it. You don't need to worry about the preload you just use the shim that is with the gearbox

Ned

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers, Ned I might just do that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts