Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all assemble the tools and parts... you’ll need 15, 16 and 17mm sockets and spanner’s, axle stands, jack, hammer, ball joint splitter, penetrating oil and a fairly sturdy screwdriver. Depending on how long since the job was last done, you might want to consider getting new bolts. The wishbone is held in by 2 short bolts, one long one and a medium one which is the same as the pinch bolt. A new nut is a good idea. The original nut has a rotating flange but I used a non-original from Shop4Parts which is just a normal nut with a washer.
Tool Wood Hand tool Wrench Font

Next thing I did was put the ball joint in a spare hub hub with the pinch bolt and marked the top to make it easier to line up when actually fitting.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Vehicle brake Rim Gas

Next job was to loosen the wheel bolts, jack up the car and support on axle stand(s) depending on if you’re doing one or both sides. I put the wheel under the sill as an added safety feature. I can’t think of a better way to pop me clogs than getting squished by an Alfa but not just yet. Then spray the pinchbolt and wishbone bolts with plus gas.
Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

While it soaks in, under the 4 bolts that hold the subframe brace. These need a 16mm socket. You can leave one of the rear ones in place and just swivel it out of the way of the wishbone bolts.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Bicycle wheel Automotive tire

Undo the pinch bolt (15mm one side and 17mm the other) and knock it out with a hammer. These can be difficult to get out. Undo the drop link.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Once the pinch bolt is out, you can split the ball joint. Apologies but I forgot to take a photo of this. You just position your ball joint splitter and give it a few good whacks with a hammer til it comes apart. Undo the wishbone bolts and pull the wishbone out. This is a matter of trial and error and brute force. Keep wiggling it and it will come out.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
At this point I’d advise taking 5 mins for a smoke/vape and a brew as the next bit can be trying to say the least. I put a jack under the disc to raise it up so it’s easier to locate the ball joint later. The wishbone goes in next. I put it in at an angle, get the rear inner captive nut roughly in place and rotate it in fully. Again this takes a bit of trial and error. Once it’s in, get the bolts in. This is easier said than done.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Automotive wheel system

The rear inner bolt goes in first, the the front inner followed by the two short bolts. I use a large screwdriver to get the first bolt roughly lined up by putting the screwdriver through the hole in the subframe and the wishbone nut. Try getting the bolt in a finger tight. If it’s not properly lined up, put the screwdriver through the subframe and outer nut and use it to move the nut you're trying to line up with. Eventually it will go in. Repeat the same process for the front inner bolt. Just do them up finger tight so you can still move the wishbone a little to make getting the two small bolts in. Use the screw driver and wiggle the wishbone to get these lined up and screwed in.
Scale Wood Automotive tire Gas Auto part

With a jack under the disc to raise it/compress the coil spring, push down on the wishbone and get the ball joint and drop link lined up with their respective holes. Once they are lined up, ease off on the wishbone and let it return to its normal position. Take care not to catch any fingers or thumbs when doing this cos it really hurts.
WIth the Ball joint in place, use the mark from earlier to line it up and put the pinch bolt in. It should go in fairly easily. If you have to start hammering it in then it’s not lined up properl
Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle fork

You might need a bit of leverage on the ARB to get the drop link back together. Tighten and torque the wishbone bolts, pinch bolt and drop link. Put the subframe brace back and torque the bolts. Wheel back on, remove from axle stand etc. Once the car is back on terra firma torque the wheel bolts and go for a test drive. Congratulate yourself on a job well done and retire in doors for a nicely chilled Peroni.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Nelly, thanks for taking the time to do this, no doubt this will be very handy for a job that comes around a little too-often.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nelly, thanks for taking the time to do this, no doubt this will be very handy for a job that comes around a little too-often.
Least I can do after all the help people have given me on here over the years.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In case anyone else needs some pointers, here's what I did (about ten years ago)!

How to remove and replace a wishbone | Alfa Romeo Forum (alfaowner.com)
Apologies Starkers... I should have credited your post as it was really helpful when I first did a wishbone. My technique has evolved through trial and error to that described above. I’m not sure if it’s the best way or if there even is a gold plated DS solution but it works for me. There is always a bit of luck... this time all the holes lined up perfectly and the bolts went straight in but they don’t always. That one took about 2 hours including numerous breaks to clean my hands and take photos. Chatting to my local Indy and he says he always losens the hub nut. I can’t see how that would help but he swears by it and has done a few wishbones in his time!

• Love
Reactions: Starkers
1 - 7 of 7 Posts