Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi just i would give words of encouragement to us DIY GTV owners i successfully changed my Alternator DELCO yesterday in under 3 hours.
I used the in thru the top method that people have mentioned by removing the rear part of the inlet manifold it was an absolute pleasure (no really it was) apart from one bolt which holds the support to the underside of the chamber.
The only pain as usual was getting my shorter Aux belt back off/on at the end which i will mention was the operation i had to get under the car for.
Few pics attached for your perusal.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Definitely the way to go on a DIY basis.

One tip : I always stuff bits of kitchen towel into the inlets. Murphy's law states that anything dropped will go straight into one of the inlets. Guaranteed :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure what the differences are between the GTV and the 156, but from my experience from my 156 I would say that both the 'top down' and the 'bottom up' methods present plenty of challenges and hazards.

I abandoned my initial top down attempt because removal of the injector rail was proving difficult, the inlet pipes from the plenum chamber have the click type clamps, and there is a lot of removal of ancillaries such as the throttle body with attendant tubes and cables.

Since one has to raise the car and remove wheel arch liners to get access to belts and bolts, and since in my case I needed to carry out exhaust repairs and underbody painting, I chose the bottom up approach.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/300357-alfa-156-alternator-swap-in-pictures.html

You must be something of a pro if you can do it in three hours from the top !

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what the differences are between the GTV and the 156, but from my experience from my 156 I would say that both the 'top down' and the 'bottom up' methods present plenty of challenges and hazards.

I abandoned my initial top down attempt because removal of the injector rail was proving difficult, the inlet pipes from the plenum chamber have the click A type clamps, and there is a lot of removal of ancillaries such a the throttle body with attendant tubes and cables.

Since one has to raise the car and remove wheel arch liners to get access to belts and bolts, and since in my case I needed to carry out exhaust repairs and underbody painting, I chose the bottom up approach.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/300357-alfa-156-alternator-swap-in-pictures.html

You must be something of a pro if you can do it in three hours from the top !
You dont need to remove the injector rail on a 2.0 156 to do the alternator from the top - only the plastic part of the manifold.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
And in my case, the throttle body stayed on the end of the plenum. There's a hose bracket under the throttle body held on with 3 T30 screws. Undo the bracket and with the expansion tank moved out of the way I can get my arm under the plenum and undo the plenum fastenings. Easy(ish).

As to three hours, I can probably beat that. The last time I changed the alternator, I had it out in about 50 minutes.

I got quite good at it :
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/244514-35-days-four-alternators.html

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with Clic clips. Even without a pair of Clic pliers, they're easy to work. And so much better than jubilee style clips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't understand why people have such a hard time with Clic clips. Even without a pair of Clic pliers, they're easy to work. And so much better than jubilee style clips.[/QUOTE]

Well, you need good access, even with the pliers. Without them, no chance ! But I agree, they are better than jubilee clips.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No need

No need to remove the fuel rail it doesn't get in the way at all as for me taking three hours i did take my time as it was my first go at this job.
I do have a modification i am planning to do to the support bracket which will make it even easier to replace the plenum after removal.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
I found the hardest part was getting the new Alt into position and photographed every connection b4 i undid them.

Good job reveds, its a satisfying job once you get it done and realise the amount you have saved on labour charges.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Definitely the way to go on a DIY basis.

One tip : I always stuff bits of kitchen towel into the inlets. Murphy's law states that anything dropped will go straight into one of the inlets. Guaranteed :lol:
I use disposable rubber gloves

1 - 11 of 11 Posts