Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received my FPR and I am not sure where to place it with the the fuel pipes splitting into two for my two extra injectors.

Here is a pic of the FPR.

I know it is not the best but unfortunately I have to use it for the time being until I can afford a malpassi FPR. The replacing of the MAF sensor set me back a bit and I had to compromise. I am not sure where the return pipe to the fuel pump should connect to the FPR. Is it at the bottom or the back?

Here is a photo of the fuel pipes:

As I understand, I should connect a T-piece and let a piece of pipe feed to the FPR. As well as a vacuum pipe which I still need to find somewhere on the intake manifold.
How long should the piece of pipe to the FPR be or doesn't it matter as I would like to mount it near the firewall for neatness.

I am taking a guess that the pipe from the T-piece connects to the bottom of the FPR? Am I right or wrong?

I am also not sure where to connect the T-piece for the FPR.
Directly after the fuel rail before the split to the extra injectors?

·
Registered
365 Posts
The two extra injectors are connected from the fuel rail into a T and terminated at the 6th injector. You would have to put a T before the 6th. Pressure in a closed system is constant but the mentioned setup would be best for flow. Check the FPR booklet - from the T to "IN" on FPR and "OUT" return to the fuel pump "bucket". You dont have to connect the vacuum connection(small connector) as the injectors are constant pressure. Don't adjust the FPR until pressurised and then use very small increments/decrements.

The FPR could be any distance from the T which leaves you with a number of fitment locations. Use quality Nylon and connectors and ensure that you don't have any leaks. The fire extinguisher is under the passenger seat!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I agree with Hennie, this is not a closed system, but a dynamic one. It is better to tap off for the FPR at the far end of the fuel rail(6th injector)

I prefer a rising rate pressure regulator for a turbo car, but to change that is just a matter of connecting the thin pipe to the plenum. It is not easy(impossible) to drill and tap into the plenum without taking it off. Your car has a older (aluminium) intake on the later engine (plastic tappet cover) There are other pipes going into the plenum. On the right hand side of the plenum were a pipe sucking gas from the fuel tank, it should be blocked now. At the bottom of the plenum is the booster pipe, yours will have a one way valve in somewhere, you can tap in with a T-piece between the plenum and the valve.

If you go rising rate, do not change at will. Change it before the dynotune and then leave it.

While the dynotune is going on you have two things to do. Watch the fuel pressure gauge (it should not go below 3 bar when the car work hard) and the engine's temperature (lots of engines are damaged on dynos).

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
too long to read on a Friday...just let me know when its complete...and when you've terrorised those bloody Tjooned Golf 5 GTi's.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@guili and DNA

LOL I cannot wait myself! and here is a turbo'd Toyota corolla RXI in Oudtshoorn. wonder how it will perform againts it....

I was going to finish everything this morning but today is going to be 38 degrees here in Oudtshoorn. And you can add another 5 degrees for VAT.
So, myself and the family decided to go camping rather at Calitzdorp SPA where there is nice swimming pools.
Will see on n Sunday afternoon when I return how far i get.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
WILDCARD;4552648 today is going to be 38 degrees here in Oudtshoorn. And you can add another 5 degrees for VAT. QUOTE said:
CLASSIC, that made my day!!! 5 degrees for VAT!!!:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::p:p:p

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Ok all of the above are perfectly correct.

I found that the high-pressure pipe (from the injector rail normally enters on the side of the FPR and the waste (low pressure) on the bottom. This way the pressure build up around the diaphragm until it reaches the preset pressure and lift the pin.

I will suggest that you set the FPR to max pressure to test the fuel pump it should reach +/- 6bar set like this. If it can not reach 5bar I would suggest that you change the pump as well.

As for variable rate. That is solely up to you if you want to connect it or run static pressure.
If you wan to run it static I would suggest that you set the pressure to 3bar.

If you want to use the rising rate which I advise set it to 3bar with the reference pipe disconnected. Now connect the reference pipe and see how much it drops.
It should be in the region of 2.8bar at idle if it is lower adjust it until you get a constant 2.8bar reading.
With it set like this the pressure will raise to +/- 3bar at 0 pressures in the plenum.
When the boost climbs it will increase the fuel pressure as well.
The higher fuel pressure will allow the oe injectors as well as the additional injectors to flow a bit more and improve the spray patterns as well.

You can T into the reference pipe running to the Gotech, just make sure that the connections are proper and will not blow off at 0.5bar.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
According to the looks on the photo, it looks like it has a rubber diaphragm.

Your get one that looks like that but has six screws, I know that certain fuel pump diaphragms fit in it. They may even fit this one but you will have to change the bolt pattern on the replacement diaphragm. It is not as bling a the first one.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Did you resolve the setback last night?
Get that Malpassi FPR it is worth the money.
I fitted one on the GTV last night and it is so much better than the other units.
It still loose pressure after switching off but it regulates the pressure so much better than the other units.
I suppose that’s why Alfa used them on the old Nord turbo’s as well.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did you resolve the setback last night?
Get that malpassi fpr it is worth the money.
I fitted one on the gtv last night and it is so much better than the other units.
It still loose pressure after switching off but it regulates the pressure so much better than the other units.
I suppose that’s why alfa used them on the old nord turbo’s as well.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts