Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was idily pondering whether a Fiat 20v Turbo engine would fit directly into the 166 2.0 twinny's place. I'm assuming they are the same engine in principle with the exception of toughened valves and lower running pressure etc. Would it give as much as the 3.2 fitted in the newer models, I doubt fuel economy would be any better. That 3.2 was unbelievable in a 156 Gta I had. Has anyone come across someone that has done this and is it possible without swapping ECU's and wiring looms etc?

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's not the same engine in principal. The Fiat lump is a 5 cylinder, so slightly wider than the 4 pot Alfa. Someone on here has converted a 145 twinnie to run a 5 pot Fiat though. I hate saying this, but as per usual it's one of those cases of yes it's probably possible but there's probably a lot of custom fabrication required, so a lot of time/money.

300bhp from the 20v Turbo doesn't require much work. And they sound divine (IMO).

·
Registered
155, 166 & MiTo
296 Posts
On the other hand, if you could get one of the 2.0 Turbo V6's that were only for the market in Italy, that would fit.

V.

·
Registered
57,683 Posts
:eek: That would be epic but wouldnt it give you problems in the future? Tweaking or changing engines on a car is a bit risky. It requires a lot of money

·
Registered
38,666 Posts
Tha Lancia Kappa is a very similar car under the skin to the 166, and they came fitted with 20V turbo engines from new.

I think it could be done reasonably easily with a bit of thought.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
there are enough 20v Fiat Voupes around though, as Symon says, same engine, its the other bits that may be more tricky, eg suitable gearbox, wiring loom, etc etc

·
Registered
330 Posts
There are a lot of 20VT's available but cheap ones usually mean trouble....

I have been a coupe owner for over eight years and have been on the Fiat coupe forum for about nine years. It is quite clear that the 20VT lump is a phenominal engine but, and this is a big but, they need to be well looked after. Run them low on oil, which is easy to do as they do use oil so need a regular top up, and they suffer. Run too much boost without extra cooling and correct fueling and they suffer. Quite a few have also thrown belts and had damage. It is quite well known that if this has happened you need to undertake a full rebuild, not just a top end. there have been so many cases where top end only has been repaired and then a few thousand miles later the bottom end has gone!

With the 166 being so big and heavy I wonder if the 5 cylinder engine would really work, Would it not be easier to buy a broken 166 3.0 or 3.2 V6 and tune that?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I really like the 16v's. A lot of Coupé enthusiasts say that the 16's offer a more rewarding driving expeerience and to be fair when we attend Spa each year some of the 16v owners really do impress on the circuit.

For me though being a former Audi nut and quattro owner, you can't beat the 5 cylinder sound :)

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
an interesting idea, not too many 166 projects going on, normally putting on a Zender kit or getting them fully functional again. It should be good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two cars is probably the best way, but in reality I have a Q4 brera which hasn't been used for ages as I have to break my 2.5 year old sons legs to get him in it. I don't mind doing this but he makes a right racket for a few weeks after which I do mind. I imagine i'd have the same problem with the Fiat coupe. Mine is the Ti facelift which I like, but its not rapid however I do like the slow pace now and again. I like the 3.2, but its just the fuel economy, thought about converting to LPG. I had a 156 Gta before the Brera, I might go back again it was epic, the poor Brera wasn't meant to be a gta I know, but its not as quick and uses more fuel. The poor Brera has suffered because of it, mind saying that I still haven't parted with it, but think its going up forsale soon if anyone is interested.

You can't beat the alfa V6's the Brera is my third.

Had a problem with my headlight ballast on the 166's xenons (next car will have standard lights, their not that much better), i'll start a new thread for this as there isn't a replacement part, good old alfa want a full unit at £850.00, I said i'll have four...the jokers.

Back to the turbo thing, sounds a bit more hassle than the overall outcome is worth, it would never be worth as much as I would have to put in....... it has to balance the books. I'll keep a look out to see if anyone elase has done it.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I have a couple of ballasts from two headlights with smashed glass, Pm me the parts Nos, and I'll see if they are the same, these are of a pre facelift, 51 plate IIRC.

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
I have a couple of ballasts from two headlights with smashed glass, Pm me the parts Nos, and I'll see if they are the same, these are of a pre facelift, 51 plate IIRC.
I'll tell you this BOB ..the prefacelift 2001 and facelift 2004 are two totally different beasties.....aaargh so much foir my spare parts bin.

Pomeo (BOB);):D

·
Registered
294 Posts
This has been done on a few 155's. Getting the engines in & running gear sorted is the easy part, I hear getting the electrics working is meant to be a total PITA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts