Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I tried looking for some information about this online but couldn't find.
Is it possible to put some part from 166 on 156 in order to change the PCD? basically I want to put 159 wheels (center bore is not an issue).
GOPR0037.jpg

·
Registered
303 Posts
The bearing diameter is the same, so 42mm - but the axles of the 166 has 27 teeth, whereas the 156 has only 25 teeth. So it's not a very straight forward job, as you will need to adapt your driveshafts as well.
The easiest solution by far, is to get PCD adaption spacers, that will most likely have a minimum thickness of 15mm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I don't mind replacing the axles as I need to replace one anyway. So I understand that beside the axles, hubs and brake discs I wouldn't need any other parts right?
Is this something I can do at home or that I need special tools?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm not sure that the axles will be a straight swap - they might be different length. You will probably have to fit the outer joint from the 166, to a 156 axle.
I cannot find any info on rear hub for the 166, so difficult to compare with 156.
The front hub has a different depth on 166 as well.

Over all, I think this is a lot of effort to go through, for a set of wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, sounds like it. Thank you for your input on this. I would like to see if there anyone who did it here.

·
Premium Member
45,065 Posts
Obviously as you are changing wheel PCD, you'd need to change brake disc PCD too. Or get new holes drilled in your existing brake discs at the PCD of the 166.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Obviously as you are changing wheel PCD, you'd need to change brake disc PCD too. Or get new holes drilled in your existing brake discs at the PCD of the 166.
He already mentioned brake discs in post #3 ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I do not think that you need to mod the axles or anything with them. As I remember my friend installed 166 knuckles, installed 156 bearings that fit 156 axles logically, and installed brembo calipers with brembo discs. I am not 100% sure though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts