Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and cannot find the answer....

I am wondering where the front door speakers wire splits into 2 seperate wire sets to power the tweeter and woofer...

Is it inside the care or inside the door? to save me taking both apart.

I have fitted:

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/131/201/TS-E176C/index.html

...and am yet to fit the (rather large) crossover - not quite sure where!

ALSO
My amp wires go down the centre of car to head unit and was hoping to use a male iso connector and use standard oem wiring where possible as from what i read rewiring is a bit of a nightmare!

BUT all the male iso sockets have puny wires - less than half size of OEM... anyone know where I can buy the socket pins so I can clamp my amp wires directly into the male socket??

Thanks in advance.

Any help tonight would be great as i'm planning to attack my 156 tomorrow!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I put the crossovers into the doors on mine (same size box). I wrapped foam around them and left them inside the door near the tweeter.
I just used the feeds into the main speakers to feed into the crossover and ignored the old tweeter wire....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nope - The main speaker grill unclips from the front and when you take out the main speaker, you have a 6 inch hole to stick your arm through to make all the connections. The tweeter comes out by removing the screw behind the door handle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
And I removed the old tweeters from the door handle mounting and used the "surface mounts" on the new tweeters to surface mount them onto the old holes in the door handle trim (using a hot glue gun from behind....), as I couldn't find a neat way of mounting the new tweeters recessed into the old tweeter holes.....

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
I am wondering where the front door speakers wire splits into 2 seperate wire sets to power the tweeter and woofer...

Is it inside the care or inside the door? to save me taking both apart.
as above, the wiring is inside the door.

basically:
*1 set of wires (+ and -) pass through the multipin connector into the door
*wiring goes to door woofer; tweeter wired in parallel off the woofer
*xover for OEM speakers: no lowpass filter for woofer so this essentially receives a 'fullrange' signal, but relies on its natural 'rolloff' (ie: inability to play treble); tweeter has a simple inline capacitor for its highpass filter to remove the midrange/bass

fitting aftermarket speakers can indeed be a pain. IF you want to fit an aftermarket tweeter into the factory position, it is easiest to mount the new xovers in the doors as mentioned. keep them between the doorcards/trims and the thin white splashguard foam (to avoid exposure to moisture).

however, also consider mounting the tweeters in the cabin, say at the base of the A-pillars or down in the kickpanel areas and angled upwards-inwards. the factory positions don't provide the best imaging/soundstage, so if you're keen, experiment with tweeter-position/angle. of course, there are cosmetics to consider, which may be a priority to you.

My amp wires go down the centre of car to head unit and was hoping to use a male iso connector and use standard oem wiring where possible as from what i read rewiring is a bit of a nightmare!
"amp wires"? can you explain this further? are they the powerwires for your amp or the RCA cables or what?

in general, keep any RCA audio cables distanced from wiring looms and amp powerwires, to avoid EMI (electromagnetic interference)/'noise' entering the audio signal, which can manifest as annoying 'engine whine' (highpitched whine that alters in pitch with engine revs). in my old 156, i ran the powerwires down the left-side under the doorsills. audio cables when down the centre. speakerwires are not susceptible to EMI like RCA cables, so can be run under the doorsills too.

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers guys! i already fitted my tweeter and woofer with no probs. my woofer was bit too large... supposed to use a special adaptor that i couldn't find anywhere so I used 3/8 inch tap washers (I am a DIY retail manager no less. lol).

By "amp wires" I mean the output wires that I intend to conect to the oem wires in the iso socket... basically cos I don't have 3 days to get decent speaker cable through the doors lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will fit power cable down left side... though the trim seems awfully hard to remove compared to other vehicles.

fitted phono leads and speaker cable (side by side) down centre of car. They ok together?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
phono leads and speaker cables is fine together.

door sills use 'clips' to hold them in place. the front door sills also have 1 screw in the kickpanel area. indeed, you need something like a big flat-tip screwdriver to wedge underneath the sills to lever them off (release the clips).

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always get my little connectors from halfords... so so wrong!! lol
Thanks for that never thought of using ebay... had some bad deals there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately I ended up working on sunday so the fitting will have to wait till this weekend... but i'll let you know how I get on!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts