Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanx Guys...its just my mechanic said could be possible..was just want verify if could be..so there's no any option to upgrade 147 2.0ts gearbox???

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Pretty rare given that the only TS gearbox with 6 gears was the one in the 166 I think...

·
Vendor
46,340 Posts
You could probably buy a 166 2.0 TS 6-speed box and fit it but get some custom mounts fabricated to it fit the original engine mount on the N/S chassis leg and subframe. You could use 166 2.0 TS flywheel and clutch/slave setup. Not sure if 147 TS clutch master cylinder displacement would be right but you could use 147 GTA or 147 JTD master cylinder if it wasn't. Use 147 1.9 JTD driveshafts and the rest should be a bolt on fit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You're better of with and 1,9 JTD bellhouse, sump, auxilary bracket, gear stick system, rear gearbox mount and driveshafts and a 156 v6 box and front mount. You also need the 166 clutch and cylinder. And probably forgot some other small bits....

·
Registered
148 Posts
i wish my twin spark had a 6th gear but it sounds like alot of mucking around for an extra gear.
if you do a lot of freeway driving than i can understand. but around town i wouldnt bother.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx alot guys...I will make printout of all your coments give it to my mechanic..perhaps he could start this project 4me..cos 5 gears gearbox I feel like is not dat stronger to 2.0ts engine..

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
No thunder stolen! :)
I have a 2.0 gearbox sitting in my garage ready to go onto my 1.6 as a cruise improvement project but youre spot on about a 6 speed box. :)

You could just put a longer 5th gear since you can open up the end window on the TS gearboxes to help improve cruising rpm.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Think its just the final drive ratio thats different (and maybe first is a bit longer?) or i'd look at that. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The opposite problem

I realise this thread is old but I just got my first Alfa, a cheap, high mileage, but lovable 147 jtdm. The acceleration seemed too good to be true, then I discovered it redlined (4.5k rpm) at about 95 mph. Nice Italian mechanic (Gonella in Catford) scratched his head. I tohught it might be missing a sixth, but he said no hardly any had 6 speeds.

Reading the above I reckon I must have a petrol gearbox in my diesel car. Any cheap remedies??? Car was £2k so don't want to spend a fortune.

·
Registered
30 Posts
6 speed in a 156 ts

You're better of with and 1,9 JTD bellhouse, sump, auxilary bracket, gear stick system, rear gearbox mount and driveshafts and a 156 v6 box and front mount. You also need the 166 and cylinder. And probably forgot some other small bits....
I have been serching the forums about fitting a 6 speed to my 156 ts. I have found many different opinions, the above was alogical and positive post that i found and was also given by someone else in a different site. Has enyone done this? Did it work?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
I realise this thread is old but I just got my first Alfa, a cheap, high mileage, but lovable 147 jtdm. The acceleration seemed too good to be true, then I discovered it redlined (4.5k rpm) at about 95 mph. Nice Italian mechanic (Gonella in Catford) scratched his head. I tohught it might be missing a sixth, but he said no hardly any had 6 speeds.

Reading the above I reckon I must have a petrol gearbox in my diesel car. Any cheap remedies??? Car was £2k so don't want to spend a fortune.
My JTDm (53-plate with a six-speed box) pulls less than 2500 revs at 80, so something is very wrong with yours. There are however many on here who would not trust anything that Gonella says.....

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
My JTDm (53-plate with a six-speed box) pulls less than 2500 revs at 80, so something is very wrong with yours. There are however many on here who would not trust anything that Gonella says.....
as soon as that name was mentioned and the phrase scratching his head the bells rang out for me :cheese:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts