Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted not long ago about hid kits, i finally ordered hid kit from hid direct, with everyones advice (thanks) went with 35w 5000k h7r with slimballasts for £67 delevered. my mate fitted them under a hour and they look perefect, not too bright, and as close to oem as possible. as an upgrade they are superb and great value, and if anyone has halogens the difference is significant. plus no one has flashed me when looking at them there is no way they are dangerous to any oncomming traffic, i think if u go with the right spec its all good. :)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also what type bulbs are used for low beam/side lights as they r now yellow in comparison, what bulbs would match the hids better

·
Registered
900 Posts
need some pics there mate, sounds like the researching paid off for you

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will get some pics up tommorow, have been meaning to for a while but little one broke the camera, have got new one now so will get on the case :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
interested to see the outcome, im not sure my bulbs are original as ive been told time and again... if they are then this could be an option.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do u mean original xenons, because i think original xenons were for sidelights/running lights, and normal halogen for main beam, xenon still visible as both lights on, aftermarket hids the main beams are xenon and running lights
halogen (vice versa)

·
Registered
30,241 Posts
Think you are confusing lights here AYAT.
Your H7R HIDs are the Dip Beam (the OEM HIDs are also just the Dip Beam.
Side lights are little H6W Halogens (same on OEM HIDs too).
Main Beam are H1 Halogens (also the same on OEM HIDs).

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers david c now i understand. sidelights is one turn used when its just getting dark, dipped is 2 turns used all the time when dark, and main beam are the ones used infrequently, and turn off when see oncoming traffic. thanks for the clarification, can the h6w halogens be replaced with anybulbs (not xenon) to give a whiter light ??.

·
Registered
30,241 Posts
You can get blue tinted H6W bulbs, but they aren't that much whiter than non-tinted ones.

The only way to get a true white light is to go for LEDs, which are expensive.

It doesn't bother me, so I still have H6W bulbs for the sidelights. (I have H7R HIDs for Dip beam too).

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Side lights are only for parking like on the side of the road when its getting or is dark, apprently you shouldnt drive on sidelights. Anyway, people who drive with just side lights on pish me off :rant:

;)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Side lights are only for parking like on the side of the road when its getting or is dark, apprently you shouldnt drive on sidelights. Anyway, people who drive with just side lights on pish me off :rant:

;)
Thought the law said if you are in a built up area that has streetlights you can drive on just sidelights?

·
Registered
30,241 Posts
Thought the law said if you are in a built up area that has streetlights you can drive on just sidelights?
I think you can, but it is a very bad idea. Which is why dim-dip came along, you couldn't drive with just sidelights.
Dim-dip was then scrapped! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
h5w led bulbs sounds cool, but on searching i get car specific, so im guessing they all have different connectors, does anyone know where i can order correct ones. ive seen ebay seller
selling 501 type 5w power which is said to suit 156 sidelights\interiors lights etc. not that expensive.

·
Registered
30,241 Posts
501 are basic 5W capless. They are used for the side repeater indicators and the numberplate lights. They ARE NOT used for side lights on a 156.

H6W are the correct ones, as mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks mate. ive seen h6w led but are car specific, is there a particular connector type i should be lookin at.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Those box thingies are resisitor type thingies and i Didnt need to use them at all :cool:
Ahhhhh right fair enough.

P.s yeah alright I spelt thingies wrong I apologise :rolleyes:

:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts