Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking at buying my first GTV and incidentally my first Alfa.

I will be looking at Phase 2, 2.0 TS later this week. I’ve read a few buyers guides and some threads on here, but any more advice is appreciated. I’m particularly concerned about it not having the “Brown Master Key”, how important is this?

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I've had 916's for the last 20 years and have never needed to use the brown master key even though I do have them for both the Cup and the Spider. I would concentrate more on service history, (particularly belt change), oil consumption and suspension.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Check the sills particularly by jacking points and inner wheel arches. I mention it a lot but MurrayGTV has a great thread on here somewhere on this. With the TS check the oil as one of your benchmarks. It should be well oiled and it could be a determinant as to how the car has been treated by the owner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had 916's for the last 20 years and have never needed to use the brown master key even though I do have them for both the Cup and the Spider. I would concentrate more on service history, (particularly belt change), oil consumption and suspension.
Thanks AnthonyJohn, I've read that you may need to the Brown Master Key for flat battery/other electrical issues - is this not the case? Can you replace a battery without it? The last cam-belt service/change was in 2008 at 64,247 miles, which is about 8000 miles early, it's now at +- 104 000 miles (Technically the cam-belt should be replaced at 108 000). So I assume I would need to do this immediately now Rather than wait until 108 000? Considering it was done early previously and has been while…

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Check the radiator you'll have to get down low but check it at the bottom and see if the fins are in an advanced state of disintegration or not and whilst you are down there the front radiator support cross member is a prime candidate for corrosion; its not structural but does support the radiator again not difficult to replace but finding one can be hard. Check the rear spring pans, not a difficult fix but can get costly as 2nd hands ones are going up in price to £100 per side plus bushes, also check for squeaking from bushes on rear suspension. Plus what everyone else has said. Get a good one and you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Thanks AnthonyJohn, I've read that you may need to the Brown Master Key for flat battery/other electrical issues - is this not the case? Can you replace a battery without it? The last cam-belt service/change was in 2008 at 64,247 miles, which is about 8000 miles early, it's now at +- 104 000 miles (Technically the cam-belt should be replaced at 108 000). So I assume I would need to do this immediately now Rather than wait until 108 000? Considering it was done early previously and has been while…
There is alot of cam belt paranoia around but 8 years is way to long. Change ASAP. Rust can be the biggest issue. Some do, some don't. Unfortunately you can never tell till you remove side skirts and wheel arch liners to see if you have either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the radiator you'll have to get down low but check it at the bottom and see if the fins are in an advanced state of disintegration or not and whilst you are down there the front radiator support cross member is a prime candidate for corrosion; its not structural but does support the radiator again not difficult to replace but finding one can be hard. Check the rear spring pans, not a difficult fix but can get costly as 2nd hands ones are going up in price to £100 per side plus bushes, also check for squeaking from bushes on rear suspension. Plus what everyone else has said. Get a good one and you'll love it.
Thank you Mr Dunamis, really hoping to get a good one!

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
+1 to what all the others have said.
You only need the brown key to get another red key and even then it is now possible to get a red key without. You definitely do not need the brown key for flat battery situations. Which reminds me - unless you are planning to use your GTV as a daily driver get an Accumate battery conditioner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1 to what all the others have said.
You only need the brown key to get another red key and even then it is now possible to get a red key without. You definitely do not need the brown key for flat battery situations. Which reminds me - unless you are planning to use your GTV as a daily driver get an Accumate battery conditioner.
Great news on the brown key.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks knoppy1987, I think I’ve found the thread on the sills?

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-andamp-916-spider/901449-rusty-sills.html
That is the one.

It is going to be hard to check visually on a viewing but a good test knowing first hand is to get your hand/fingers behind the sills (particularly nearside) on the underside of the car (where floorpan meets sills and jacking points etc.) and apply some pressure. Mine felt like soft/spongy metal (how metal shouldn't feel) with crumbling behind the underseal. As has been said, without the sill covers and wheel arch liners off, it is hard to do a thorough assessment.

As these are structural load bearing items on the chassis, for me they are of importance above anything really. They're also things that will test even the very best DIY'er and the cost of sorting it probably won't be cheap.

I will have that bill coming in at the end of April. However it is small change to the amount of enjoyment I will get driving it and working on it this summer. A truly fantastic car in both V6 and TS guise.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Buy the best one you can afford.
If it means waiting a few months in order to get that best one, definitely wait.
Oh and replacing suspension components is a lot cheaper than respraying paint :censored:

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I have no red or brown key. Just black :lol:

Reactions: Peej88

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
PJ is just obsessed with the V6. The Twinspark excels in other areas. Try both and coincider budget. Neither will disappoint.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts