Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of background - my dad was a serial runner-out of petrol, I've lost count of the number of times we've had the dreaded lurching, pushed the old Austin Maxi and the very heavy Austin Princess for miles to a petrol station, walked for hours with a little green plastic can, called the AA, etc, etc...

So I vowed it would never happen to me. Yesterday it did!

And worse - it was on a downward slope so putting 5 litres in from the little green tank made no difference. Called the AA and put another 5 litres in and after a fair bit of turning and stuttering all was perfect.

Thing is I have learned to ignore the amber light, which comes on at a quarter empty - a good 120 miles in the Twink with my feather-foot driving. ICS shows --.-- for miles! I just go off the position of the needle - never let me down, until now! Looked like about a 16th of a tank on the gauge.

Please tell me I'm not turning into my Dad!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Im scared of that happening to me, as soon as that amber light comes on im dashing to the nearest petrol station!

Sometimes if i park my car half on a kerb overnight my guage tells me i have an extra 1/4 of a tank until 5 minutes later when it says your driving on fumes again...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I've done it a few times in other cars, not in this one though. I've been pretty close to the end but don't really want to run out completely

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Never do it myself as I always fill up when I get down to a quarter. But I know lots of people who do, and I'm convinced they do it for the thrill of it and added sense of danger it adds to a journey!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I'm convinced they do it for the thrill of it and added sense of danger it adds to a journey!
My Word they must be leading seriously dull lives if they have to run their tanks a bit low in order to get a thrill:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
That last 1/4 is stupid the way that just vanishes! Proper CRAZY!!!! Ive almost done it, to the point where ive actually called my mate just to be ready!......164 ran our just as i pulled into the petrol station!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Well I'm REALLY dull..... I know that each 1/8 of the tank equates to 50 miles, I've had 400 miles out of the whole tank.

That's sad isn't it........

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm REALLY dull..... I know that each 1/8 of the tank equates to 50 miles, I've had 400 miles out of the whole tank.

That's sad isn't it........
I get 480, possible 500 if I don't run out again! Thats all M'way tho - 70-85mph, here's a pic the gf took coming down from Edinburgh at New Year, not my most feather-footed driving - got 44mpg on the ICS once after my then 47 mile daily commute, but a good run all the same....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yeah best mpg figure so far is 38.7, but I don't do all m-way driving, I'd prob get the same as you.

God we do lead dull lives......:lol::lol::lol:

:thumbs:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone beat this? I've not reset the cumulative ICS reading for 14,000 miles. Now that IS saaaaad...

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is your's broken? I've been hoarding these for the last couple of years and just put THREE up for sale (having managed to get to my wiring finally and fix a simple fault). See 'Parts & Accessories 4 Sale'...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oops - that last message was for Mitch166. How are you guys getting this much out of each gallon? I only recently got my ICS working again and sadly it's still reporting 21-22mpg at best and a dismal 17-odd around town. I'm sure I drive like an old man - because, well, that's what I am (or so my wife tells me..). Mind you, I am partial to that foot-down-V6 noise :)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
That last 1/4 is stupid the way that just vanishes! Proper CRAZY!!!!
Mine is like that for each 1/4.

The twinnys look pretty good for consumption, I am yet to see over 30mpg our current over 2K miles is 24 ish :cry:

Long run to Scotland in August will see what I can achieve then, my wife has managed 32mpg on a run she must have light feet :lol:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Oops - that last message was for Mitch166. How are you guys getting this much out of each gallon? I only recently got my ICS working again and sadly it's still reporting 21-22mpg at best and a dismal 17-odd around town. I'm sure I drive like an old man - because, well, that's what I am (or so my wife tells me..). Mind you, I am partial to that foot-down-V6 noise :)
I'd get it serviced & checked on emissions, 17 tells you something is very wrong. After a number of issues with engine warning light etc etc my garage had replaced the throttle body gasket, then the O2 sensors at the exhaust. Before this it was only managing 21-22mpg, now hitting 27-38mpg (depending on how much I put my foot down!)

·
Registered
79 Posts
That last 1/4 is stupid the way that just vanishes! Proper CRAZY!!!!QUOTE]

I'll second you on that one. All my other cars have given me plenty of miles out of the last 1/4 but the other day i was on my way to a clients and when i left i was just below a 1/4 so i planned to fill up about half way, bearing in mind that this journey is only about 30 miles i thought i would be OK, but how wrong i was. the petrol gauge seemed to drop from 1/4 to empty in about 5 miles and i didn't make it to the petrol station :cry:

So the moral of this story is fill up when the gauge reads 1/4

I have been getting 24.3mpg out of my 147 3.2 GTA is that good? I must say i don't drive like an old man but i also don't go everywhere at warp factor 10. (honestly)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I managed to runout of fuel in my car while test driving it for the first time at mango's. Did say to the salesman that if he manages to sell this too me now he deserves a medal. and the bugger did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts