Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Milano for some N Yorkshire Moors sightseeing for a few days.
Only saw one other Stelvio in 600 miles - a red one parked in Ravenscar.
On our homeward trip on Wed driving near Beverley en route to the Humber Crossing the Satnav suddenly started showing roads with red/white checked patterns that I'd never seen before and the view changed to an enlargement and altered the directional alignment. At this point a Traffic Announcement cut in saying the A164? was closed due to an accident presumably nearby and sure enough traffic became stationary at a key interchange. Hurriedly consulting a paper road atlas we thought we'd pull out of the stationary queue approaching a slip road and head straight into Hull and try and pick up the E-W A63 and get to the Crossing that way. Jeez what a mistake. How do the good folks of Hull tolerate that nightmare of congestion, 5 min red traffic light sequences, closed off junctions and wholly useless signposting?
Much later after collecting the mother-out-law from Mablethorpe to bring her home for a visit we hit the A1M hoping to pick up some time. No such luck - the Alconbury section was closed for miles so we had to join the slow convoy south on adjacent sign-posted roads.
Later the overhead gantries flashed up that A1M was closed at Biggleswade, but this time no diversion signs so a tortuous run through unknown countryside and towns and villages I'd never heard of. The satnav without any input from me showed the red/white checkered thing on the A1 and set out a spot-on route to reunite us with A1M near Stevenage, with a much delayed eta showing on the screen. The 3rd closure was just after the Hatfield tunnel, sending traffic onto the N London Orbital road which I would have taken anyway. Finally the M25 was closed J13 to J11. I know the way home from J13 anyway so no problem.
Throughout, the eta indication was pretty accurate and the map picked up most of the road closures which is more than can be said for the radio traffic broadcasts - only one of the many major closures was reported.
I guess it makes sense to do these major road works at night and lesson learned about not checking in advance, but I don't recall this much disruption pre-Covids. The Stelvio behaved impeccably throughout the 600 miles with a very full load, comfortable, super easy steering and handling on the hilly windy bits but cabin temps reached 32C at times even with the roof open. Aircon not icy cold but OK. MPG was indicated at 43 despite the Hell that was Hull.
Another lesson - if you run low on fuel in parts of Lincolnshire at night, fill up asap. I found a Gulf station near Mablethorpe when I was on the red low fuel light and got fuel just before he closed.
The owner has a Mito and he said he'd never seen an "Alfa suv" before.
I used Auto the whole time, mostly in N and a few miles in A when heading North on dual carriageways in slow traffic - and the Stop/Start still doesn't work even after so much driving.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Had to replace battery to get S&S to work. Was done under warranty thankfully.

·
Registered
Stelvio Milano Edition 280
1,772 Posts
So true about fuel stations in Lincolnshire! We've just come back from a holiday cottage we rented in the Wolds. On Monday night we jumped in the Milano 280 to drive the 10 or so miles to Louth for dinner and the light came on within the first mile, but as we were running late we carried on and had dinner...Fab little Italian restaurant btw :)

A couple of hours later (Now 8.45pm), left Louth heading back and remembered if we stayed on the A road instead of turning off to our little hamlet, there was a filling station about another 2.5 miles further on from our holiday cottage. Got there and it had just closed as it was now just after 9pm! So I reckon we're now about 22/23 miles into the red... A quick Sat Nav check tells me there's another station 3 miles away open until 10pm, so off we head. You can guess that this was shut too and the opening hours were clearly wrong! So gave up as Google confirmed nothing else was open within 20 miles, so limped home in 'A' possibly now 30ish miles into the red.

Next morning I left the wife at the cottage and nursed the Stelvio up the steep hill out of the village, and then the 2/3 mile run to the station thankfully without any drama...I did wonder what the range was once the light comes on, and glad I didn't find out the hard way too!

·
Registered
38,874 Posts
Worth a read as it shows the shape of the tank.

·
Registered
Stelvio QV my20
540 Posts
Mine lights up when it estimates 50mi (that’s consumption based - once it was one tick below half, sometimes it’s a couple of ticks from the bottom) and then beeps again and possibly different light colour below 20. Below 10 it stops estimating remaining range - just a dash. If your 50 or 20 or 10 is based on some spirited driving - say low teens in QV or low 20s in 2.0 you can actually stretch that range to 2 or even 3 times that by going into A, babying accelerator, staying in high gears and anticipating slowing down so you are not using brakes - obviously cold start would bite hard into that. I recall seeing some bars in 50s looking at my consumption chart the other day - think 8th gear steady at 40 on a flat road.

·
Registered
Stelvio Milano Edition 280
1,772 Posts
Mine lights up when it estimates 50mi (that’s consumption based - once it was one tick below half, sometimes it’s a couple of ticks from the bottom) and then beeps again and possibly different light colour below 20. Below 10 it stops estimating remaining range - just a dash. If your 50 or 20 or 10 is based on some spirited driving - say low teens in QV or low 20s in 2.0 you can actually stretch that range to 2 or even 3 times that by going into A, babying accelerator, staying in high gears and anticipating slowing down so you are not using brakes - obviously cold start would bite hard into that. I recall seeing some bars in 50s looking at my consumption chart the other day - think 8th gear steady at 40 on a flat road.
Yes meant to say it had turned red pretty quickly and the range had disappeared pretty soon after the first light came on. I reckon I was pretty close to sniffing fumes either way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We went to cannock for a couple of days on Frid, 360 miles round trip Veloce 280 got 35 mpg for total journey, on way home tried A mode instead of N, got 37 mpg for return journey M25, M11, A14, M6 there and back using adaptive cruise quiet pleased with that as only 1800 miles on clock I'm sure this will Improve with more mileage on the engine. 20210612_145802.jpg 20210612_145749.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts