Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Another bbs for me to learn. I'm an active member of the scoobynet bbs with over 1300 posts. I posted a topic on scoobynet regarding the 156 selespeed, someone directed me to this bbs and here I am.

I used to run an Impreza Turbo Series McRae but found it to hard for my wife who suffers from back problems. I've been running a Mondeo V6 for about 10 months while I find a better compromise between sport and comfort.

The reason I'm here then is I have purchased an ex-demo 156 Selespeed Veloce from RyAuto in Birmingham and I collect it next week. What can I expect from the owning experience and what should I look out for in my first few weeks of ownership?

Any advice or tips will be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance.
Lee

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Welcome Aboard Lee.

Cmon 156 owners give the man some advice,

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Make sure that Selespeed is working okay. A lot of early selespeeds have had problems. But if its ex-demo, any probs would have been picked up. What year is it?

Welcome BTW. Okay, we've got two scooby owners (one ex) and a bmw owner. There should be a few good threads soon!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

Its six months old and on the new fangled reg plates "51". I've had a good test drive and everything seems OK. Noticed a slight squeek from the centre of the dash that they are going to sought out.
How hardy is Alfa paint? The car is having work on the front bumper as there was number of stone chips on it. The cars covered 5000 miles.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
237 Posts
You'll find the 156 great. When that engine gets nice n warm it'll leave higher powered german shunts for dead.

The old dash rattle eh? It's like a welcome note.

But paintwork? Generally Alfa Romeo's recent quality paintwork has been extremely poor. It loses shine very quickly and chips far too easily. Watch the door sides and get a touch stick for stone chips. Wax at least twice a year.

It would be extremely unusual for anything mechanical to go wrong with the car. Most selespeed electronic glitches have now been ironed out.
The most likely problems will be in the rattles department. The trim still isn't fitted as well as some other makes. Although for Alfa it's a huge jump forward.
I follow simple rules, if I know a street where the surface is crap - I avoid it. Nothing like a few bumps to get panels falling off an Alfa.

Enjoy! Immmm, Selespeed, who could possibly beat you away from the lights now??!

G

·
Another Scoobynet member here! Recently purchased a 156 Selespeed (although still got the Scooby - now becoming a low mileage "toy").

Unfortunately I have a less than happy tale to tell. Purchased 2000 W, 156 Selespeed, 12000 miles two weeks ago. I drove it about 10 miles before approaching a roundabout dropping from 5th to 4th. The gearbox selected neutral and I have not been able to find a gear since.

Car has been at dealers since then, and they seem completely flummoxed by it (initially tried an ECU, but this did not fix it). They are so busy that they have not yet had chance to go further (they are talking about opening up the gearbox!).

All the sterotypes about Alfa reliability / crap dealers would appear to be true...

Advice / reassurance please

Dales

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Have they tried replace the acuator, this was a problem on a few 156's.
Don't worry I got my 145 & 91 miles later it stranded me, 2 weeks to get the part from Italy but since then apart from a new battery, she's been as good as gold.

G

·
Hi All,
New to this site myself, Glad to have found it though, Bought 156 JTD ex demo in November 1999, goes well, plenty of grunt and a nice alternative from other cars available, Sadly its eaten the inner edge of the front tyres (dealer says tyres not his problem!!) and I say 3 sets of Azzaros in 30K...usual squeaks and rattles, battery shot within 8 months, Central locking developed mind of its own, heatshield fell to bits!...rattle from under dash..turned out to be wiper dwell relay clicking!..and finally turbo went bang....all this on a motor just done 30K....So have always dreamed of having an Alfa....but not sure how long it will stay with us...or what will replace it....fancy a 156 sportwagon...but are we brave enough??

·
Registered
80 Posts
You will get problems with every single make of new car. Just look at the new Beemers, Mercs, Jags, etc, on the hard shoulder. With Alfas, you are more likely to get a “good” one now than you would 10 or even 5 years ago. Back in those days it was a miracle if you got one that was well put together. Now it is more the norm, as customers expect high quality.

I have always enjoyed my 147 since I bought it new in July, no problems or squeaks at all. But last week I had a scare. A rattling noise form the dash area. I pushed it here and there as I drove along, but couldn’t find where the noise was coming from. As it was sunny I took my sunglasses from the cubbyhole in front of the gear stick and put them on. The rattle stopped - Phew! Reminded me of the VW Golf advert in the ‘80s where the bloke finds his girlfriend’s earring is making the noise.

G

·
They've tried the actuator, but it appears Okay. Latest thinking is that something has sheared off the inside of the casing of the gearbox, which is extremely rare.

Its being opened up today, so hopefully they can find the answer once they see inside the gearbox...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
you are more likely to get a “good” one now than you would 10 or even 5 years ago. Back in those days it was a miracle if you got one that was well put together
Jacobyte,
I was working on my sprint last summer 7 an old guy was out walking his dog, he past the comment that you don't see many of them around.... anyways got chatting & his brother had bought a sud and when it arrived it had rust on it, So him & the brother stripped the car had it repainted & sealed,
Put the car together again & it's still going, the granddaughter it now driving it.

So there's the answer, treat your alfa as a partially built kitcar

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys just back from holiday abd I pick the car up on Sunday (24th March). Hope I have some happier tales to tell.
Your getting me a littled worried

Lee

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
Its rare that anyone posts to say "My gearbox is fine, the selespeed has not blown up" So you see this is an opinion, dont get to worried, you havent even got it yet, well in a few hours you will.

I hope you really enjoy it. I recently bought a 156 2.5... its great I done 130 MPH in no time on the A127 returning from a cruise to Southend and back. (Misses is on holiday and I was very bored at home) I am very impressed with the fuel economy, I think that its actually better on fuel than my 2.0TS 16V 155. I managed 370 miles of mixed driving styles from £42.00 of fuel? how does that compare with any other V6 2.5 Drivers????

Please advise

G

·
My V6 is not good on economy, best I've had so far is 25mpg, usual is 22-23. Going to do a decent run tomorrow down to the Science Museum so I'll get a better idea. Wonder if the 24v makes a difference?

Found out mine is running lean so this may be the reason but I'd have thought it would use more fuel if it was set up correctly!

wrinx

G

·
I only get 20.2 (for the last 4000 miles so its accurate) in my 2ltr.So we don't buy these things for fuel economy then

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'll have to wait and see what the Alfa will do.

The Mondeo V6 does around 28mpg mixed driving, 35mpg on a run,

The Impreza Series McRae did around 14mpg mixed driving, about 20mpg on a run and around 10mpg on a track day. Thats was on 97 Ron superplus with Millers Octane booster.

I would imagine it would be a little less than that normal unleaded as the ignition would retard and the Scoob wouldn't run as well.

Lee

G

·
I use Millers ob with Optimax and the car loves it.Has reduced mpg as I now drive fast everywhere and never get out of second gear!

(got 16mpg on a longish road drive the other day
)

G

·
Latest news is that after taking the gearbox out, they can find nothing wrong with the car mechanically and are therefore pursuing electrical faults (again).

Any background information regarding other types of faults typically found on Selespeed units would be much appreciated (its definitely not the ECU or actuator as they have already tried changing these).

Cheers

·
Registered
649 Posts
You obviously weren't trying if you managed to get 10mpg at a track day. Last year at Mallory, I only managed 6 - 7 mpg and had to go off circuit at lunch to fill her up. That was with 97 ron fuel and millers octane booster.
Mind you the only thing to get past me on the track were the pukka race cars and a 911.
The 911 doesn't count though as it had to go home on the back of an AA van.

Steve.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have it!!!

So had the 156 selespeed around 24 hours now.

First impressions:-
On the plus side.Build quality far better than I was expecting, selespeed gearbox I love to bits (as long as it stays reliable), I realy like the ride/handling compromise and the driving position is first class.

Downside. The high wing spoiler is a pain on the motorway as you cant make out whats behind you (still glad I had it fitted though), brakes are over servoed and require a light foot but thats about it.

I'm very glad with my choice as long as it all stays reliable.

I need to get used to moving at slow speeds with the selespeed, the sharp brakes, and the peaky power delivery of the engine. I'm not dissapointed with the performnce just used to the midrange punch of the Scoob and the V6 Ford.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Lee

1 - 20 of 31 Posts