Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the car last week for the first service I have ever done in my life on my used car. Very nice people, It cost 249 which included sorting one squeaky window and the other one is about to go so I'll be going back soon as it sounds horrendous.

I think it may have been Roger (didn't get his name, but others seem to refer to him on here who've been to that garage) told me that the car is ok but I needed to be aware that there is a tiny oil leak around gears and that my exhaust is slightly rusty and blowy, but nothing to worry about in the immediate future.

Of course I am worried and think of nothing else. I bought a 2 year warranty from the dealer when I got the car, so I should be able to get back at them about this shouldn't ? I know dealer warranties on used cars get less than a good press, but wondered if anyone on hear has taken anything like this back to a dealer on a used model. Any advice at this stage would be much appreciated.

I also had a quick look at the race cars, never seen such menacing wheels!! I would recommend if you are in South Yorkshire.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm no expert on these things, so don't treat what I say as gospel, but as no-one else has commented yet I'll give my 2p's worth :)

Could be worth having a chat to the garage who serviced it to get a clearer picture about when the two issues may become something to worry about (so whether the exhaust would pass an MOT as it is, how long until the blowy exhaust becomes an issue, same with how long until the tiny oil leak could become an issue). Hopefully that should reassure you and arm you with a bit more information!

Once you've found out a little more info about the fault it could be worth going back to the dealer and talking to them, but where a warranty is provided often dealers just say to follow the warranty process. I think exhausts might be classed as a "wear and tear" item though on warranties, and often oil leaks are excluded (unless as a consequence of the failure of a part covered by the warranty).

How long have you had the car? Setting aside the warranty - you have statutory rights when purchasing a used car from a dealer, and in fact the first 6 months from the date of purchase from a dealer it is assumed that any fault found is one that was present on the car when it was purchased, so the burden of proof is on the dealer to prove the fault wasn't there when they sold the car. After 6 months the burden of proof is on you to prove the fault was present when the car was sold, which I guess would probably prove tricky in which case your only option is the warranty which (as I said) likely exclude the exhaust and may not cover the oil leak if it is tiny and doesn't constitute a failed part!

When I was looking at Mitos last year the state of the exhausts on some of them with rust was a bit rubbish - usually the silencer heat shield (I think it has an outer skin, so that can rust through and peel off with the silencer still remaining functional) or the tips - that was 2010 cars though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Skaffen for your advice, it is helpful. Think I'm in a spot of bother with this, all I want to do now is get rid to be honest. Since I've only had it since late March I think I don't have legs to stand on really but I'll check my warranty anyway. I really only wanted to keep it for a year and trade in for another Mito with a bit more power but I fear nobody would take this off me now as an part ex. Both problems are probably costly to fix and also I am more disappointed that this is only a 4 year old car, but I honestly think it drives and sounds older than that. I'll speak to the service garage again for some advice but not holding out much hope. I got the wrong Mito - all down to inexperience when looking at cars, all lessons learned for next time (if I ever get rid of this one:paranoid:).

Thanks again

·
Registered
344 Posts
As per my original note, regardless of the terms of the warranty, you have statutory rights when buying from a used car dealer.

That means anything you find in the first 6 months is deemed to have been present when the car was sold to you, unless the dealer can prove otherwise. So even if the warranty is no help, you can go back to the dealer and say you want it fixed and they have no leg to stand on. You've only had it 3 months!

So if I were in your position I'd do the following:

Speak to the service garage to get a bit more information about the issues.
Speak to the supplying dealer and say "I bought this car from you less than 3 months ago, I've just had it serviced, and these faults were picked up - how would you like to go about sorting them?" if they say "speak to the warranty company" then say "ok, will the warranty definitely cover these faults then?".
If they do shunt you off to the warranty company and the warranty company say "nope" then go back to the dealer and say "the warranty company are refusing to cover the faults, how would you like to go about sorting them?".
If the dealer try to fob you off then remind them you have rights under the Consumer Rights Act.

The second-hand car I bought has a problem, what are my rights?

I think you're like me - tend to imagine the worst case scenario! But it may be that the issues are nothing to worry about, and the servicing garage are just being nit picky. Or if they do need solving then some dealers are helpful, some warranty companies are helpful, so it could easily all work out fine! With the gearbox issue on my Mito both dealer and warranty co. were helpful. All sorts of issues crop up on even new cars - cars are complex - so it's pot luck to get a problem-free experience with cars.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Skaffen, and yes I am too much of a worrier. I've taken your advice on board and I'll call the garage to get a clearer picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts