Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have switched over to my new winter wheels. This is my first time with winter tyres and everything seems to be going well. Tyres are definitely more grippy when the temperature hovers around zero. There is a bit of road noise from them, but I tend to drive with the stereo on and so it hasn't really bothered me.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Have you got them on the front and back? I was thinking of maybe getting a pair for the front axle on the '45.. though I may spend my moolah on a gas conversion instead.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, All four changed.

I have them on a different set of alloys I picked up second-hand, so that I can easily change them back again when the weather starts to warm up.

I'm not sure having two summer and two winter tyres would be safe?
I maybe wrong though.

My brother-in-law just got his 407 coupe gas converted, seems to be pretty cheap on fuel, and still has plenty of grunt.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Last week, I switched my 19 inchers for a set of second-hand 17 inch multispokes (£150 from my dealer) which I'd had fitted with some part-worn (6mm tread) Michelin Primacy Alpin tyres obtained on German eBay for £250 including next-day DHL delivery.

Haven't seen the traction control light so much as blink even once this week, no matter how hooliganistic I am with the loud pedal - those tyres just dig in and thrust you forward, :D. I'm enjoying the softer ride over rough surfaces (and there are plenty of those on the roads around here, :mad:) that the 50 profiles provide, and the road noise is so much less compared to the Vredstein Sessantas (which were in turn much quieter than the original Pirellis) that I had on the 19s that I'm now aware of some slight wind 'rustle' from around the door mirrors that I've never heard before.

Think I'll maybe keep the 17s on permanently.............................NOT! :rolleyes:. Now when I do the obligatory 'Alfa backward glance' after parking I can't help thinking "Jeez, those wheels are tiny!" :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Have you got them on the front and back? I was thinking of maybe getting a pair for the front axle on the '45.. though I may spend my moolah on a gas conversion instead.. :D

Ralf S.
All advice is not to do this. Basically, if you need to stop quickly, the back end can switch very easily and spin you round as it will have far less grip than the front...

Also if you turn a corner at a speed which the fronts can grip, the rears cant and you will lose the back end....

(In snowy conditions Im talking about here)

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Ah okay.. I have a pair of '45 alloys that were just asking for some winter rubbers... Might have to save up some more for the other pair then.... though my theory is that this year we won't have any snow at all (dahn sarf' I mean) after the last 2 year's white-outs.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're probably spot on Ralf, that would be typical... If everyone bought a set of winter tyres we'd probably have record-highs in winter for five years.

To be honest though, from what I've read the winter tyres perform best at low temperatures rather than snow specifically. They are made of a softer compound and so remain flexible sub-zero when summer tyres would be rock-hard; thus much more slippy.

They are supposed to perform better in the snow, but that's not really what they are designed for.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It fails me why more people don't do this. Ultimately you save money because the summer tyres wear faster in cold temperatures, the softer ride on winter tyres makes the suspension last longer, and there is less likelyhood of an accident.

I put some Vredestein snowtrac 3 on in Jan 2010, using a spare set of 15" alloys. The grip when roads are cold and wet is far better.

Winter tyres only on driven wheels? No! After all, in the summer you wouldn't put expensive tyres on the front and ditchfinders on the back. Because that's how different summer/winter tyres are at 0°C.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Once the temp drops below +10°c you should be on winter tyres.

As RBaron says you are saving money because your summer tyres are parked safely in the garage and winter tyres simply perform better in lower temperatures.

Yesterday I drove across France in torrential rain. I've never seen such rain. Needless to say the drainage couldn't cope and the autoroutes were seriously flooding. Cars were aquaplaning everywhere. In fairness everyone had slowed right down, no one was trying to be a hero but it was seriously dangerous. My narrower, softer, and deeper threaded Nokian winter tyres gripped like limpets through the worst of it. Had I had my Michelin Pilots on I think I would have been crawling in the slow lane with the hazards on.

Remember the cost of buying winter tyres is really only the capital cost of a spare set of rims (I bought cheap steel ones) and that cost is quickly offset by even the smallest parking-speed shunt.

It's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
yeah - never mix winter tyres with summer tyres.

According to the season, you should only ever have:

four summer tyres on

or

four winter tyres on

mix 'n' match ain't an option.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
seriously considering getting a set of part-worn winter tyres for mine. evo magazine have done a series of proper tests on winters and the advantage over all-season tyres is absolutely astonishing

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Setting myself up for a fall here, but rain has never been a problem on my summer tyres and so far, over halfway through December, I have driven for fifteen minutes under the magic 7 degrees.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Setting myself up for a fall here, but rain has never been a problem on my summer tyres and so far, over halfway through December, I have driven for fifteen minutes under the magic 7 degrees.
I've never gone flying through the windscreen when not wearing a seatbelt - doesn't mean you shouldn't wear one!
Look at all the winter v summer tyre tests and you'll soon see the reason for having winters on when it gets cold. Apart from anything else, my cheap winter wheels get covered in salt rather than my lovely 19 inch alloys.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i reckon kwik fit probably do a lot more business on winter tyres in scotland than dorset. or manchester for that matter, the roads are dreadful tonight - i'll be getting some winter boots on as soon as christmas is out of the way

·
Banned
112 Posts
I think winters make a lot of sense, especially after suffering the past 2 years scrabbling around in the snow. As has been said, better grip in cold and wet conditions, what's not to like ?
The only thing putting me off to be honest is the cost of a spare set of decent alloys; yes I could get some cheapies, but they would ruin the look of the car. Maybe Im too much of a tart.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think winters make a lot of sense, especially after suffering the past 2 years scrabbling around in the snow. As has been said, better grip in cold and wet conditions, what's not to like ?
The only thing putting me off to be honest is the cost of a spare set of decent alloys; yes I could get some cheapies, but they would ruin the look of the car. Maybe Im too much of a tart.
I was baffled to find out that people almost don't use winter tyres in the UK. Where I'm from, most people do. Steel wheels are common and when I see an Audi or something like that with steel wheels in the winter I just think "winter wheels". Some use alloys for their winter tyres too though.

What really makes you uncool is crashing, showing up late for appointments, getting stuck or sliding towards a pedestrian not being able to stop if you have summer wheels on in the winter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts