Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Still a bit OTT to get "completely chuffed off" for failing on a normal service item that he should have seen anyway!!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I agree with davidc. Perhaps if OP had said I've only done 2000 miles on them but no mention of mileage or anything. It's a car...stuff wears out...... especially brake pads :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
+1. Any cars brakes wear and if its the first MOT then the pads are 3 years old anyways
or 4 years...

Nothing to get hot and bothered about here. Pads are a wear item. You should have had the car checked over anyway before taking it for an MOT and then you'd not be so chuffed off.

Besides it could have failed on a hell of a lot more serious bits.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still a bit OTT to get "completely chuffed off" for failing on a normal service item that he should have seen anyway!!
Didn't have time to type full story earlier as was in work. Pads changed 10 months ago, less than 6 k done. Anyhow garage have contacted and sorted and no new parts needed apparently. Their earlier advice was prior to investigation. Turned out clean up of pins only and now ok. Will get full story when i collect

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
634 Posts
On a 3 year old 159....they can usually be 'persuaded' out...without too much difficulty.

Just though it a bit presumptious to include them in a quote!
They get seized in as the callipers are made of aluminium and the pins are stainless steel, the dissimilar metal corrosion cause's them to get seized in to the calliper bodies. If they did'nt mention it or have them in stock and your car was off the road a day or two while they ordered some im sure you would be a lot more annoyed. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
On my first mot my 2.4 Spider with 18000 miles failed on partly seized caliper only a couple of hundred miles after a full service at Mangos.To be fair on them they did collect my car and after trying to sell me new discs & pads they eventually freed off the calipers (as I told them in the first place)and put it through the mot and returned the car at NO COST to me.So WELL DONE to Mangos for some good customer service........

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Very poor previous work to be seized in 10 months. You don't drive it on the beach do you - lots of salt to speed up the corrosion (joke.)

If it was poor brake balance or low effect then that is more likely caused by pads seized in callipers. You need new pins because you can't free the pads properly without removing the pins and the pins are usually seized as well and get damaged forcing them out.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
On my first mot my 2.4 Spider with 18000 miles failed on partly seized caliper only a couple of hundred miles after a full service at Mangos.To be fair on them they did collect my car and after trying to sell me new discs & pads they eventually freed off the calipers (as I told them in the first place)and put it through the mot and returned the car at NO COST to me.So WELL DONE to Mangos for some good customer service........
Shame they didn't service the brakes properly during their supposedly "full" service in the first place...!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
bit of a bump, is this a known issue?

my car is in for 90k belt change etc and he is hammering me with scare stories of seized brakes etc. bit shocked by the costs... almost £300 for rear pads and discs... and seized brakes and calipers? this was worked on a year ago looking at old paperwork... :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts