Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 - I rented this Alfa during a vacation in Italia. So much fun! Absolute great car/drive. I can 't remember the model...I can start looking for pictures in the internet. But maybe, if the picture is enough, some of you can tell me! It had a diesel engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Alfa 164/166 is based on the SAAB 9000/Lancia Thema/Fiat Chroma architecture, developed 1977 - 1984.

FIAT bought Alfa at a late stage in development - Alfa made heavy re-engineering of the architecture.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here you go - they're still around (my 2.0 V6 TB (turbo-benzina) couple of weeks back) :) As well as a 2.5 and 3.0 V6, there was also a 2.4 turbo-diesel, though not in the UK. The original design is the 'true' 166 - the 2003 facelift was an unhappy attempt by AR to produce a 'corporate' look across the then current range (166, 156, 147).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks @frankxq. I must have driven the 2.4 turbo-diesel. Great acceleration and performance - I was surprised since I had never driven a diesel engine car before. My family of 4 with a ton of luggage - fit perfectly (I admit it was a puzzle to get it all in). Fun times!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Thanks @frankxq. I must have driven the 2.4 turbo-diesel. Great acceleration and performance - I was surprised since I had never driven a diesel engine car before. My family of 4 with a ton of luggage - fit perfectly (I admit it was a puzzle to get it all in). Fun times!
The previous model to the 166 was the 164 which I believe was sold in North America, although probably not in diesel form.

All RHD 166 markets only had petrol engines.
Mine is a 3.0 V6...it is a very good car.
Don't listen to those who say the facelift was better. The facelift is OK, but the original has the style low classic individual look no longer available to contemporary cars.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts